The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM

vtd is on a distinguished road
Default Vermont Newbie

Just a quick "Hi" from Central VT - as I join the forum. I'm a retired music educator - and decided 2 years ago to give fly fishing a try - since one of my sons was already way into it. Never really fished all my life - but enjoy hunting, canoeing, etc.

I'm still an [old] novice - but enjoying all there is to learn - and time on the water. Got advice? Fire away.

A few more details...
I'm putting off tying for a few years, til I get more experience with the sport. In the last year, I've had the good fortune (and time) to fish chalk streams of Pennsylvania, tail waters in Pittsburg, NH, and the Snake in Jackson, WY from a Mackenzie-style boat (with a world-class guide.)

Beyond that, it's local ponds and streams, casting practice, and accumulating WAY too much gear for a newbie. Primarily using an Orvis TLS 9' 5wt + Battenkill reel.

Looking forward to whatever "Sage" advice comes along here.

Best...
VTD
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vermont Newbie

VTD: Welcome to the forum! The addiction will only get worse and as you learn more and more, soon you will realize that you will never know everything about fly fishing, to me that is what makes it so interesting, there is always something new to learn. The Snake river is just up the road from me, but I primarily concentrate on the Green and the New Fork rivers and occasionaly I get over to the South Fork of the Snake near Swan Valley, ID, that is a great float through the canyon section.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

It's a slippery slope my new friend........before long......you will be experimenting with 3 weights.......venturing into bamboo.........spending way to much money on grizzly hackle.........and dubbing.............welcome......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

cant wait to see some of your home waters, sounds like you had a great year for exploring some new and beautiful places. welcome

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM

vtd is on a distinguished road

-- and I forgot to mention -- my father-in-law owns a place on the Pere Marquette in Michigan. I guess I have few excuses NOT to catch trout.
Damn.

VTD [Newbie]
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum vtd!
looking forward to hearing more about your future fly fishing endeavors
and as far as having too much gear.....no such thing
although it can get out of control in a hurry.

casey

ARFE