The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   hello from islamorada (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/310111-hello-islamorada.html)

mobislamorada 02-05-2013 05:01 PM

hello from islamorada

howdy, just joined, get tight suckas!!:thmbup:

kayo 02-05-2013 09:57 PM

Re: hello from islamorada

Hi, where is islamorada?

Guest1 02-05-2013 10:24 PM

It's in Florida! A much much warmer place than here. Welcome to the forum mobislamorada, and if you need a house guest that's sick of winter, let me know :D :welcomean

littledavid123 02-05-2013 10:37 PM

What does "get tight suckas" mean? Never heard that before.

Dave

jsquires 02-05-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littledavid123 (Post 523889)
What does "get tight suckas" mean? Never heard that before.

Dave

Well, the way it's written, it means you should get some tight suckas, for whatever reason.
But I'm guessing there should be a comma after "tight," which would mean all the suckas should get tight lines.

littledavid123 02-06-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsquires (Post 523900)
Well, the way it's written, it means you should get some tight suckas, for whatever reason.
But I'm guessing there should be a comma after "tight," which would mean all the suckas should get tight lines.

Thank you so much jsquires for the grammatical review. :D

Dave

jsquires 02-06-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littledavid123 (Post 523919)
Thank you so much jsquires for the grammatical review. :D

Dave

Glad to help.
But regardless of whether we give a flying &%$%$ or not. commas can be important. For example, if three of you are stuck on an island without much food, there is a big difference between
Let's eat, Jim.
and
Let's eat Jim.
(I'm sure Jim would be hoping for a comma)

littledavid123 02-06-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsquires (Post 523962)
Glad to help.
But regardless of whether we give a flying &%$%$ or not. commas can be important. For example, if three of you are stuck on an island without much food, there is a big difference between
Let's eat, Jim.
and
Let's eat Jim.
(I'm sure Jim would be hoping for a comma)

Rep points headed your way...:thmbup:

Dave

theboz 02-06-2013 01:51 PM

I'll be in Islamorada next month . Will be getting plenty of "tight"lines and while I'm there I'll let you know if I meet any "suckas".

mobislamorada 02-06-2013 07:06 PM

"get tight suckas" is a phrase that can be used as a farewell in the language of fisherman. it simply means "tight lines" but everyone says that. the sucka's part is thrown in as a sort of anticipated jealousy in the case that the person being spoken too will indeed get tight. so by saying "get tight suckas" some people could take it as " i wish you to get tight, but i will be jealous as hell when/if you do" Got it? as for grammar, Jim sounds like a jet skier.......... does anyone have any BBQ sauce? [poke]