The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Greetings from frozen southwest Iowa! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/311009-greetings-frozen-southwest-iowa.html)

balsabug1 02-16-2013 01:40 PM

Greetings from frozen southwest Iowa!

I live in sw Iowa and have been flyfishing/tying for 50 years. A Hobie Floatcat is my current, and favorite, platform for the beautiful local farm ponds I fish for bass, bluegills, & crappies. When I can afford it, I take trips to the Yellowstone area, usually in late September into late October for the great fall fishing...and no crowds!

fyshstykr 02-16-2013 02:01 PM

Re: Greetings from frozen southwest Iowa!

Welcome to our little corner forum, good to see fresh blood.:)

Your timing to fish the Yellowstone area is perfect, as you say...less people and the fishing is very good.

jpbfly 02-16-2013 02:05 PM

:welcome:balsabug....guessed with such a name you were a bass fan:)

balsabug1 02-16-2013 02:21 PM

Being raised in sw Iowa, warm water is pretty much what we have, except for right now. I fell in love with flyfishing at a very young age and started tying flies immediately (no money to buy 'em)' mostly using feathers pulled from pillows and Mom's sewing thread. I dearly love everything about a quality iowa farm pond, the smell, the sounds, obviously the fishing...a good farm pond during the magic hours is truely awesome. But, if I could, I'd live next to a trout stream in Montana/Wyoming...then I could take trips back here for 'gills & bass!

littledavid123 02-16-2013 02:53 PM

Welcome to the forum Balsabug, cool name. I find it interesting how living in Iowa the water is to warm for trout, but you can travel south to Missouri and find them. Looking forward to pictures and stories of your fishing adventures.

Dave

balsabug1 02-16-2013 06:59 PM

Yeah, there aren't too many cool water springs around Council Bluffs, IA! We do have some killer bluegills & bass though. It'd be nice to be blessed with both.

mcnerney 02-16-2013 07:58 PM

Balsabug1: Welcome to the forum! You definitely have Yellowstone NP figured out.

Liphookedau 02-17-2013 02:05 AM

Hi balsabug1.
Welcome it's good to see another join us.
Even though The Fishing in YNP is Good in October with no crowds you would really be starting to get into The Rough Weather.
Brian.

thorsten 02-17-2013 06:47 AM

Welcome to this fantastic forum :welcomean

balsabug1 02-17-2013 10:27 AM

It's great standing in the Madison in late October, snow falling, mist rising from the water, and swinging soft hackles. Oh yeah, there IS that line freezing in the guides thing though!