The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM

balsabug1 is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from frozen southwest Iowa!

I live in sw Iowa and have been flyfishing/tying for 50 years. A Hobie Floatcat is my current, and favorite, platform for the beautiful local farm ponds I fish for bass, bluegills, & crappies. When I can afford it, I take trips to the Yellowstone area, usually in late September into late October for the great fall fishing...and no crowds!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from frozen southwest Iowa!

Welcome to our little corner forum, good to see fresh blood.

Your timing to fish the Yellowstone area is perfect, as you say...less people and the fishing is very good.
mcnerney likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

balsabug....guessed with such a name you were a bass fan
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Smile Re: Greetings from frozen southwest Iowa!

Being raised in sw Iowa, warm water is pretty much what we have, except for right now. I fell in love with flyfishing at a very young age and started tying flies immediately (no money to buy 'em)' mostly using feathers pulled from pillows and Mom's sewing thread. I dearly love everything about a quality iowa farm pond, the smell, the sounds, obviously the fishing...a good farm pond during the magic hours is truely awesome. But, if I could, I'd live next to a trout stream in Montana/Wyoming...then I could take trips back here for 'gills & bass!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Balsabug, cool name. I find it interesting how living in Iowa the water is to warm for trout, but you can travel south to Missouri and find them. Looking forward to pictures and stories of your fishing adventures.

Dave
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Yeah, there aren't too many cool water springs around Council Bluffs, IA! We do have some killer bluegills & bass though. It'd be nice to be blessed with both.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Balsabug1: Welcome to the forum! You definitely have Yellowstone NP figured out.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi balsabug1.
Welcome it's good to see another join us.
Even though The Fishing in YNP is Good in October with no crowds you would really be starting to get into The Rough Weather.
Brian.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to this fantastic forum

THORSTEN
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 AM

It's great standing in the Madison in late October, snow falling, mist rising from the water, and swinging soft hackles. Oh yeah, there IS that line freezing in the guides thing though!