The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dabluz
  • 1 Post By Joni
  • 1 Post By dabluz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Relatively new member from Quebec, Canada

Hi gang, I finally decided to introduce myself.

First of all, I'm 66 now, retired and I have been fishing since age 2. I have been fishing without any help since the age of 5. I started fly fishing at about age 24 and fly tying at about the same age.

There were no fly fishermen in my region when I started, no internet and no t.v. programs. There were magazines and books. I've never had the chance to fish with a real fly fisherman nor tie flies with a real tyer. It has been the other way around.....I taught a bunch of others as much as I could.

I've only had one fly rod at a time up till about 2 years ago. A 7 weight rod and now a 9 weight rod that I won in an ice fishing contest.

I admit that I do more spinning and casting than fly fishing even though there are literally thousands of brook trout lakes within 1 hour drive from my home. The fly fishing is actually too easy. The brook trout are not large (average of 10 or 11 inches) but it's no problem of catching a limit of 20 trout in an evening any day of the soft water season (May to September when the brook trout season ends).

There are a few places to fish for lake trout and there is a good population of landlocked salmon.

There is great walleye fishing if you know where to go....same thing for whitefish (lake cisco) which are great fun to catch on a fly rod.

There are a few good places to fish Atlantic salmon but my budget does not permit me to specialize in this activity.

The area I live in is 99.9% French speaking only.

Up until about 20 years ago, I had to drive 3 hours in order to buy any fly tying equipment. Even today, materials are far and few. There are only a couple of stores dedicated to hunting and fishing.

So even though I have a lot of experience, there are things that have come and gone over the years and lots of things that are here now that I have never seen nor heard about...lol.

Very few fishermen fish from shore except along the shoreline of the Saguenay river for rather large brook trout. The region is dotted with small lakes and canoes are the most popular watercraft.

20 miles to the north, there are no cities, towns or villages....only lumber roads and cottages. Even cottages are rare after travelling 50 miles to the north. Many good brook trout lakes rarely see any fishermen in a year.

Fly fishing is ridiculously easy because most of the lakes have no other fish species than brook trout. Not even minnows. The water stays cool and oxygenated.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Relatively new member from Quebec, Canada

Hi,

It sounds like you are in a good spot fish - wise, toss in a first name why don't ya........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great place to spend retirement and get in a lot of fishing!

Larry
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and I for one look forward to more stories.
I know I am not crazy, but I use to watch a fly fishing from Canada on the outdoor channel and one of the hosts landed a 7' sturgeon from a donut tube and a fly outfit. I have since looked high and low for that, but can't find anything.
Not sure why I brought that up other than I think they were in Quebec.
Anyway, welcome aboard.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
The area I live in is 99.9% French speaking only.
Do the 0.1% left speak chinese?Always enjoy to listen to our canadian "cousins" speaking french with their funny accent and "weird" words...
Great introand
Old 04-06-2013, 05:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Do the 0.1% left speak chinese?Always enjoy to listen to our canadian "cousins" speaking french with their funny accent and "weird" words...
Great introand
Loved this one, and a warm welcome from a small corner of Southern Oregon.

"The area I live in is 99.9% French speaking only." Doubt there's 1 in 10,000 who know the historical 'why' of that.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Lots of room for another Canucknuckle head.
Our numbers are quietly growing. Sounds like you are in a paradise with all those brookies.
Question. Why is it there are no larger brook trout available to fish? Here on the Island, the best pools in the streams and rivers are held by the bigger brookies, Like a chain of command. Not the same in Quebec?

welcome
phil
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Lots of room for another Canucknuckle head.
Our numbers are quietly growing. Sounds like you are in a paradise with all those brookies.
Question. Why is it there are no larger brook trout available to fish? Here on the Island, the best pools in the streams and rivers are held by the bigger brookies, Like a chain of command. Not the same in Quebec?

welcome
phil
I guess it all depends on what you mean by "larger brook trout".
The Saguenay River, which runs through the middle of town and eventually runs into the St-Lawrence is the largest brook trout river in the world. The average size of the brook trout in the river is about 16 inches. Trout up to 22 inches are quite common. The trout feed on smelt. Not many bugs in the river due to the fact that there is a mixture of salt water with the fresh water.

The lakes have high populations of brook trout. Years ago, the big trout were quickly caught by the fishermen and these large trout were quickly replaced by smaller trout. I've seen this happen in many lakes over the years. When I want to catch large trout, I fish in the lakes close to town. The fishing is tougher but there are fewer trout and therefore they get larger. I've often caught a dozen big brook trout between 16 and 24 inches long. There are many lakes that never see fishermen. They are hard to get to but they can reward you with big brook trout. Some lakes are literally crammed full of small brook trout (6 to 10 inches long). These lakes are easy to access yet are fertile and also have great spawning potential.

The Atlantic salmon rivers offer great brook trout fishing for large brook trout but the fishing is not free.
noreaster likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 PM

I forgot to add something. There are some good lakes close to town for finesse fishermen but the big problem is the fact that access to these lakes is getting harder and harder. Cottages are being built and all the land around the lakes is becoming privately owned. There are few or no public accesses to these lakes and those that do have some access, the cottage owners do not like to see strangers or even invited people.

In these lakes, I have no qualms about catching and keeping the large brook trout. I fillet them and give lots of the fish to people who don't have the chance to eat brook trout as often as I do. I know that in a few years, it will be impossible to fish in these lakes so conservation is far from my mind. When fishing for brook trout where there are few or no cottages, where the access is free, I release all decent sized brook trout. In any event, the best tasting brook trout are those around 8 to 10 inches long. Cooking time is critical for good tasting brook trout. Fillets that are too thick are much harder to pan fry. The outside of the fillet is over cooked while the inside is ok or the outside of the fillet is ok and the inside is undercooked. To me, nothing tastes finer than fresh pan fried brook trout for breakfast. In some lakes or rivers, the brook trout taste ok while in a few others, they taste great. In a very few select places, the brook trout taste incredible. Brook trout that feed on a diet only comprised of insects taste great. No fishy taste.