The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 PM

stainlessdoctor is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing and this forum

Thought I would start my journey on here in hopes of getting some good advise.

So far I have purchased
Click the image to open in full size.

And I have caught

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

And I purchased a PEAK vise from a member of this forum, have no real idea where to start with tying flies.....but I'm all in!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

can someone tell me what fly tying "tools" I need to purchase? I want good quality stuff but don't really know what ALL I really need? Also what are some good flies to start off with learning to tie?

shotgunfly and noreaster like this.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: New to fly fishing and this forum

What a great start. Nice gear too. Looks like you may have the "Orvis itch" or in your case the TFO itch bad. Enjoy.
Fly tying is really satisfying. You'll love it as much. Every fly you will tie will be the "one" that catches that next big fish. You'll be dyin to try it out. Very addictive.

As far as tying tools, it depends. I believe a great pair of finely tipped scissors is a must. Many folks have two pairs, one for heavy materials, like wire, and another pair for finely trimming and snipping off waste material.
Anvil makes great tying tools. If actual tying tools are not available in your area, a trip to the sewing store can work. They usually have one or two decent pairs of embroidery scissors or ones that are finely tipped.
Nice bobbin for your thread. Whip finisher, bodkin, and a couple other specific tools that could probably wait. Head cement too. I like thinner threads, #8 is good.
I wouldn't skimp on your scissors, its frustrating not getting close when detailing a fly. There are many threads here that focus in on tools for starting up. The biggies are good vise, good scissors, good bobbins, whip finisher, bodkin, hair stacker.

As far as flies, sky is the limit. Looks like you are fishing rainbows and maybe steelies? Easy to find simple patterns that target the species you'll be fishin for.
Peacock herl is the universal favorite, good place to start. Some natural earth tone dubbins, beige, pale green, black and dark brown. Tinsel in both silver and gold. I use a lot of silver wire.
Maybe some different hackles. Grizzly, ginger, brown, white and black. there's an online store that sells capes that have half one color and half another, great deal. Someone here will know. I think it Whitings sample capes? Good deal and value.

I'll stop now.

good luck with your adventure

Last edited by noreaster; 04-07-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Nice start! I am a relatively new tyer but to give you an idea of what tools you need I can tell you what I used last night tying up a few flies. You have a great vise; you'll need a good thread bobbin with ceramic (not steel) thread tube. The cheaper metal bobbins will shred your thread! A threader for the bobbin, a good pair of small tip tying scissors (Straight to start; you may want curved later as well), a good pair of hackle pliers, a bodkin for applying cement (and many other uses you'll find), and a whip finishing tool of which there are three types; I prefer the Matarelli. A hair stacker may come in handy but a little secret; the fish don't care if your hairwings are even!

These are the basic tools. I wouldn't waste time or money on kits; been there done that, threw them out! Individual more expensive tools will be more useful and less hassle in the long run.

Edit; just saw noreaster's post! Sorry to duplicate.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

You sound just like me 40 years ago. It has been a hobby that has saved my life more than once, but that is another story. I'd suggest two flies in each category--dry, wet, soft-hackle, nymph, and streamer. Tie each fly in two different sizes, one larger for the type and the other smaller. For example in the dry category, one in 18 and the other in 12 or 14. For the streamers, make the large one on a 8 and the small one on a 12.

As to patterns, I'd suggest a standard Adams and a Sulphur for the dries. Try a dark winged wet fly pattern and greenish one (for BWO). For the nymph use pheasant tail and hare's ear. The soft hackle would be for me a partridge and hurl and partridge and orange. The streamers have to include various colors of wooly buggers and maybe a simple buck tail like a Mickey Finn.

Good luck and tight lines.

Gene

PS--as soon as your tying skills increase, shift your dries to parachute style. I think they catch more fish than the traditional styles. If I could only fish one dry fly, it would be a parachute Adams.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks! Now I have more research to do! LOL

Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Might want to think about getting a creel next. I saw those fish and the rope stringer laying on the ground and thought I was on the Utah BFT forum...
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 PM

LOL

Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum, looks like you are off to a good start. In terms of tying, you do know this is going to cost you a small fortune But the rewards are fantastic.
wannafish likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Here is the vise I picked up on the forum...