The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM

mn steelheader will become famous soon enough
Default Hello from very snowy MN

Hi everyone:

I just joined up after trolling these forums for the better part of a year! I'm officially bitten by the fly fishing bug. Very new to the sport, in fact I am currently searching for my first rod as we speak (even though cold water trout season has been delayed again by a massive snowstorm and frozen streams). Another convert I guess who has been chasing steelhead on spinning tackle with very limited success and have decided to give fly casting a go. I've been trying out a LOT of equipment and have settled on the 9' 8wt. 4 piece class. Would love to hear from all of you with your thoughts on rods. I'm mostly taken with Winston and Sage, having tried the GVX in Winston (very nice) and the Sage XP. I've also heard the TCX is nice as well. What I am truly looking for, however, is a Graphite III 890-4 RPL. I have heard awesome things about this rod and had the pleasure of casting a 690 RPL and loved it. Probably a challenge to find in a 3 or 4 piece though as I know these are older rods.

Maybe I'll save some of this discussion for a future post and won't bombard you all from the start! Too excited I guess. Wish you all tight lines and I'm looking forward to being a member and regularly reading the forum.

Scott
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Welcome Scott!

Fly fishing is a 'Harsh Mistress,' wait til you pick up your first 2hander. Like a expensive Lady on the 'street.'
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Scott: Welcome to the forum!

Best of luck on your search for that perfect fly rod.....take your time and try to cast as many fly rods as you can, just realize that MY perfect fly rod, probably won't be yours and vice versa, that is why it is so important to actually cast the rod before you spend the hard earned cash. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Welcome Scott! Good to have another one on these boards.

I like Sage rods myself, and have a 9' 6-wt Flight and a 9'-6" 8-wt VXP. I've used the VXP for both salmon and steelhead (in fact I caught my first steelhead on it) and really like the way it casts. Sage rods have lifetime warranties and I've heard good things about their customer service.

As Fred says, fly fishing is a harsh mistress. I just got into two-handed rods a year ago for steelhead--have managed to catch just one so far--and I tell ya, once you get proficient with a single hander you've just got to try double-handers.

Ah, the madness. . . .

Scott
Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Where in Minnesota are you? I'm North of you on the border with Canada. I like Winston. I have one I want buried with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
As Fred says, fly fishing is a harsh mistress. I just got into two-handed rods--------and I tell ya, once you get proficient with a single hander you've just got to try double-handers.

Ah, the madness. . . .

Scott
Uhhhhhh.....yup.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum scott
looking forward to hearing from you.

casey

ARFE
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the board. Always nice to see more Minnesotans getting into the sport.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 AM

mn steelheader will become famous soon enough

Hey fellas-

Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome. Diver Dan- I'm from Duluth, MN but now live in St. Paul. I've fished all over the Quetico-Superior region as well as a bit of Canada outside of the provincial parks. Spectacular area. Eagerly awaiting the big thaw for sure.

Ted- it seems to me that fly fishing is really growing in our state. More and more people are giving it a try and the state is doing a much better job managing cold water streams and designated trout lakes. It's an enthusiastic little community of anglers.

As far as rods go, I'm trying a GVX tomorrow. I'm assuming it's med. fast to fast with smooth casting. We'll see. Have a good rest of the weekend everyone.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Scott.hope you can find a rod soonA bit surprising though you didn't mention Scott
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Scott.
From Australia Welcome.
The Sage VPS is Virtually The same Rod as The RPL check out Ebay at times these Rods go for The Right Price.
I bought a VPS #6 9ft 4Pce for $200 + Shipping a few years back .
Also last year I bought a Greys GRXi made by Hardy's it a Beaut Rod don't overlook them as value for money they are as good as you will buy..
Brian.