The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 12:00 PM

MattCrunk is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from an Alabama Neophyte

Hi All,
First of all, at 42 years old, I'm a total neophyte when it comes to fly fishing. In fact, that almost goes for fishing in general.

Oh, I fished some when I was a kid. There were family camping trips to the lake where I'd fish from the bank for whatever my pole and worm-baited hook would catch, which usually meant brim and perch. At about eight years old, I learned to clean and cook them myself over an open campfire. I've fished occasionally since then, but can probably count the times on one hand that I've fished from a boat or been accompanied by anyone actually knowledgeable in the sport.

My aquatic interests have always lay in other areas: sailing, swimming, scuba diving (I have spear fished on occasion), general pleasure boating, etc. Not that I've ever been opposed to fishing, I just never found much interest in it.

Bass fishing never appealed to me. I think this is because growing up in North Alabama, around the Tennessee River and the TVA lake system, it was just too commonplace. Everybody bass fished, so how cool could it possibly be? Also, my opinion of bass fishermen was largely formed by men in garish, logo-emblazoned clothing, sitting in their garish, brightly painted $20k bassboats, speeding by at 70mph, interrupting our otherwise tranquil afternoon sails on the lake.

Fly fishing, on the other hand, seems, well, more refined. More sporting. More artistic. It's trappings seem a lot fewer, and infinitely more traditional and natural: bamboo rods, wicker creels, hand-tied flies. Classic stuff. Much more my speed.

I've always thought I'd like fly fishing, but just never really pursued it. But I was in Bass Pro Shop's Outdoor World the other day with my father-in-law (He's an avid fisherman, mostly bass) and happened to wonder into their fly shop. After a few minutes of browsing and watching some of the videos, I decided it was finally time I learned to fly fish. I guess I got the bug (no pun intended).

I've yet to cast my first fly, and, except for what is apparent from a casual observation, I know nothing about the gear. So I set about doing what I do every time I develop a new interest: I buy a couple of magazines on the subject and attempt to educate myself a little. I've also found online forums are good for this. So here I am.

Any suggestions on how to, er, uh, to get my feet wet? (pun intended)
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from an Alabama Neophyte

Welcome Matt, good luck on the new hobby.

Books and mags are a good place to get your mouth watering, maybe look at some educational videos, for sure find yourself a flyshop and ask lots of questions, they should get you pointed in the right direction.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group and the sport! You'd be best off to find a local fly-fishing club to learn from and possibly to use some of their gear to see what suits you.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:47 PM

HTiger is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Matt, from another Alabama neophyte!

I hope your fly fishing is coming along well in the three-ish months since your post. Perhaps you've been on the water and have caught some fish.

I live in Montgomery and have been up to the Sipsey Fork below Smith Lake a few times. Though I haven't had any real luck there, it is a nice place to fish and I have witnessed others catch a number of trout.

The Sipsey Fork is the only trout stream in the state. The water flows from the bottom of a Smith Lake dam and, thus, is cold enough to support trout. The stream is stocked often with rainbows. There is a fly shop near the road that leads you to the stream and they can help you select appropriate flies for the day.

When I lived in Atlanta I fished the North Georgia trout streams several times and had some good luck there. Caught several rainbows and generally had a great time--fish or no fish.

Take care and best of luck!

- Jim