The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 AM

gt9r is on a distinguished road
Default new to fly fishing from PA

Hey everyone! From northeast PA. I bought a fly rod a few years ago. After tring to cast in my yard I hung it back up on the rack. But two months ago I decided to dedicate my time to learning this sport. I wish I started years ago! I never thought this would be so fun! This is the first time fishing a river and for trout. I think I'm in love! Haha . Hopefully I find as much info as I can possibly need here thank you all.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new to fly fishing from PA

Welcome to the forum, all the information you need, you'll find here. A great bunch of folks
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum. Casting takes practice and dedication, but it is well worth it. Hang in there!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM

So far I'm doing pretty good with casting. Learning the different kinds and what/ when to use them. I couldn't use a baitcaster at first but now its all I use. So hopefully I pick up this quickly. The problems I'm having are what flies to use....
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi gt9r.
Welcome aboard.
Brian
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Welcome to the site! If possible, find someone who teaches casting & get some lessons. That will vastly shorten the learning curve. I learned on my own, but have been fortunate enough to have known some great fly casters & was able to get some help, so that improved my casting, primarily by correcting problems I had.

As far as fly selection, usually that's something we often complicate, particularly since there are so many to choose from. Presentation, which goes back to casting properly is far more important most of the time that the actual fly pattern being used. Since you're fishing for trout in rivers or streams, learn the basic insects & other forage in your area & select a few patterns, sizes & types (dry fly, wet fly, nymph, or streamer) that imitate what the fish might be feeding on, and go from there. If you have a fly shop in your area, that's usually a good place to get advise on patterns and when to use them.

There are a number of flies that are universal in there appeal to various species. Patterns such as the Adam's dry fly, or Hare's Ear Nymphs (or the Gold Ribbed version) work most any place, so they're something you may want to have & something that is a good place to start when there are no hatches to tell you what flies to use. Streamers are another choice, as they imitate baitfish. Something like a Black Nose Dace or Gray Ghost, or perhaps a Zonker are good general purpose flies, and again a good choice to start with. Woolly Buggers are good general purpose flies that can imitate many things.

As you learn, you'll be adding flies & trying different patterns, we all seem to do that, but for now keep it simple, and learn how to cast properly.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks bigjim. I kniw what you mean by over complicating things. My main passion is ice fishing. I have more jigs than I could possibly ever need with enough to hand out to people! I picked up a few flies that should get me going. My collection will be getting bigger this weekend.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Collecting can be it's own addiction!

Well, I'm a good one to give that advise! I've got thousands of flies. Probably more than I'll ever get to use. Nothing wrong with adding to the collection.

I tie most of my own. Been tying for a long, long time. It's addicting, and even though I have plenty of flies to fish with, I'm always tying more.

I'm a multi-species anglers too, so have flies for the various fishes I chase.

I enjoy the collecting & tying, which adds to my enjoyment of this sport. I'm sure you feel the same about ice fishing.

However, as I said previous, start with a basic assortment of flies & add as you wish. Proper casting, just as with a baitcaster, and presentation is more important than the fly pattern. It will take some time, patience & practice, but I'm sure you'll get it. Then you'll be like the rest of us & before long will have more flies than you'll use!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!