The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM

englishspringer is on a distinguished road
Default New to Fly Fishing in MA

Hi All, I took the 2 day Orvis Fly Casting school in Manchester VT this past weekend and now I'm fired up and ready to jump in to the sport! I am looking for help with fly rod outfit recommendations for up to $350.

I will be fishing small streams & medium size rivers here in MA but also a lot of time on huge lake Winnepesaukee in NH.

Talking with the Orvis guys I think I need a 6 weight set-up to handle the lake and the great smallmouth action plus Trout and Salmon in the Spring while also being able to handle the small trout in the rivers.

I'd like to buy Orvis but the Clearwater outfit for $250 is on backorder until late July and I want something now. The Access is very nice but it costs $500 so too much. Would a 5 weight Clearwater work for what I want to do?Any non Orvis recommendations?

Thanks, Dave
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: New to Fly Fishing in MA

The Flying Pig rods are getting good reviews from some experienced fly guys here. St. Croix rods have done well in performance reviews. Sage rods hold their own. Even some Reddington rods are making splashes. Many good rods out their. Read as many reviews as you can find. The internet makes it possible to buy a good rod if you do your homework.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Fly Fishing in MA

Dave ... first welcome to the site!

You should ask somewhere up above where more people will see it on different rigs to consider. There's no end of folks around here that are willing to help you spend your money
Personally I think that if you're going to be fishing the big lake, you should stick with the 6wt rather than drop down to the 5.