New member ?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I've only been around a relatively short time, I was noticing that it seems like membership has really started to take off lately?

If this is true, what is causing the "boom" other than Winter?

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
I joined this board because it was the end of fantasy season, and my fantasy football message board was dieing down, and needed some new places to surf at work, shhh, keep that on the down low.

That and i love fishing
I joined 5 message boards at once as well, and notice that they are all "booming" at the same time i joined,

One idea is it could of been people receiving fishing related christmas, and since the weather didnt let people fish, they decided to surf on the internet about fishing.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fyshstykr,

That is a very good question. I think a lot of new members are just starting out or don't have a lot of experience. NAFFF is one forum that they can ask very basic questions and no body is jumping on them about their lack of knowledge. There are many very good fly fishers and fly tyers who are more than willing to share there knowledge or experience. I think most people who post on the forum realize that they are only giving their opinion and others may have a different experience even in the same circumstance. No body makes a big deal if the thread drifts a bit while other sites beat you up if you wander from the subject. It is just a package of good people enjoying and helping other good people.

Frank

larrysmith9865

Reaction score
That is true Frank I have got awsome advice here, And fast advise to, Like having hometown flyshop in my home or office. Most of the avise I have got has came from Frank and always a big help(THANKS)

BigCliff

Reaction score
Frank's right again. And honestly, he's a major contributor to most of the positive aspects of this board he cites. (I don't mean in any way he's tooting his own horn) He's better at giving very thorough answers to questions posted and welcoming those new to the sport. Great work Frank!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I agree Frank is the "best" at giving people answers to questions or atleast getting them pointed in the right direction and offering help. Thanks for all you do. Infact thanks to all the Mods for everything they do to keep this forum running smoothly. :)

So has there been a boom in membership lately?

Seems a couple months ago that a thread could sit a while before getting answers, and now if you post something it usually gets a response fairly quickly.

This place is hoppin lately, and I'm glad to see it. :icon_excl

I'm going to ask a question again that I never really got an answer to before, 'Is there any chance of getting a chat room or a shoutbox?' :confused:
It would be nice to have more in-depth conversations with people and helpful in developing friendships. :icon_idea

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fyshstykr,

I guess I better give you an answer.

The problem with a chat room as I see it is as follows:

1. Your software has to support it.

2. Very few people participate.

3. You have to have some one moderate.

4. You have to schedule specific times for people to chat.

5. Subjects that may be important are not viewed by the general membership.

My comments are based on pass experience with chat rooms. Lets see if there is any interest other than yourself. Does anyone reading this post think a chat room is a good idea?

Two alternatives to a chat room are:

1. NAFFF has the PM program that allows personal messages.

2. There are several AIM programs available that individuals can use to communicate with on a one on one basis.

Frank

jimw

Reaction score
There seem to be alot of good down to earth people here who are willing to teach the new and learn from the not so new. I have been to a few different sites and have sensed some fly fishing snobbery on some of them but not here. Everytime i visit this site i learn something and if someone ask a question that i have an answer to i will answer it. I think weather has a little to do with it i will be posting less during fishing season but i will try to stop by once a day just so i dont miss any of the great tips that are found here. All of the mods do a great job and a very helpful.
Jim

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hi fyshstykr,

I guess I better give you an answer.

The problem with a chat room as I see it is as follows:

1. Your software has to support it.

2. Very few people participate.

3. You have to have some one moderate.

4. You have to schedule specific times for people to chat.

5. Subjects that may be important are not viewed by the general membership.

My comments are based on pass experience with chat rooms. Lets see if there is any interest other than yourself. Does anyone reading this post think a chat room is a good idea?

Two alternatives to a chat room are:

1. NAFFF has the PM program that allows personal messages.

2. There are several AIM programs available that individuals can use to communicate with on a one on one basis.

Frank

Hi Frank, and thanks for the answers.

I just thought it would be handy, tried to have a conversation with Zoso last night via the P.M, and that is a lot of work to keep going back and forth.
I think the program would handle it, I'm on a couple other sights(Not fishing sights) that use the same format as this forum and they have chatrooms and chatboxes.

And yes people may be shy as far as using it at first but I think it would catch on.

Frank, you mentioned that you have to schedule specific times for people to chat, I'm not sure I understand what your saying here, the other sights don't have this issue, as it's always available. something I missed?

Anyway folks, is there any interest in such a thing?