The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 AM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie in West Michigan

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks, soaking up all of the information here so I thought it was time I said hello. I'm a new fly fisher, started at the end of April and have since become completely addicted (thankfully I live 10 minutes away from the river so I've been fishing almost every day). I caught my first sizable fish the other day, a 17 1/2" brown trout on a dry fly, which was incredibly exciting on my 3wt. rod. I'm still trying to figure out how to load everything onto my motorcycle, along with camping gear and clothes, so I can combine two of my passions. I'll be heading out to Washington/Oregon from Michigan for 3 weeks on the bike in September so I'll likely be picking all of your brains on fishing through the mountain states/Pac NW.

Stacey
Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 AM

flyfishmich will become famous soon enoughflyfishmich will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie in West Michigan

Stacey,
Welcome to the forum. I get pretty good advice on here so hopefully you will gain from others as well.
I am on the east side of MI and love to hit the northern streams.
I too am heading west in Aug/Sept. Not quite as long but I'll be there nonthe less.
I'd say of the way out there you can hit sooo many of the greatest trouts waters in the US. Between Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho you are hitting the best areas. I a doing a a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons type trip and I plan on hitting the Henrys Fork in Idaho as well.

good luck planning out your trip. Take and post lots of pictures. travel safe.

JC
heronwheels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey: Welcome to the forum and congrats on the big Brown! When you get the packing all sorted out you will need to post a photo of the bike and how you have it configured. Ard fishes from his bike on occasion and we have several others as well. I used to ride quite a bit when the wife was alive, but since she passed it just wasn't the same so I sold the bike. My GF is into horses, she will fish with me on occasion but her preference is to do trail rides into the Wind River Range or Wyoming Range.

Here is a thread on motorcycles you might be interested in reading:
Do you use a motorcycle?

When you get around to wanting to post a photo, just realize that the forum doesn't allow you to upload a photo directly from your computer to a post. Here is some guidance on how to post a photo.
A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;

JC or Stacey: If your travels get you in the vicinity of western Wyoming give me a shout and I can help you get into some great fishing.
flyfishmich and heronwheels like this.

Larry
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Newbie in West Michigan

Inmates here are friendly, I'm told I'm in Ward 3, but the doors locked so can't confirm.

heronwheels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey...looking forward to seeing your pics and reports
heronwheels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishmich View Post
Stacey,
Welcome to the forum. I get pretty good advice on here so hopefully you will gain from others as well.
I am on the east side of MI and love to hit the northern streams.
I too am heading west in Aug/Sept. Not quite as long but I'll be there nonthe less.
I'd say of the way out there you can hit sooo many of the greatest trouts waters in the US. Between Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho you are hitting the best areas. I a doing a a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons type trip and I plan on hitting the Henrys Fork in Idaho as well.

good luck planning out your trip. Take and post lots of pictures. travel safe.

JC
JC, I did a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in fall of 2011 and remember watching a fly fisherman in the park thinking about how I wanted to do it some day. Hope you have a really great trip, such a beautiful part of the country! I'll likely come back home through Wyoming. Where do you fish up north? I've only fished the Rogue here in Rockford and the Pere Marquette in Baldwin but hope to fish the Ausable, Fox and Two-Hearted by the end of the summer...my folks talk about packing into the Jordan River Valley before I was born and fishing for Brook Trout (I've always loved those stories).

mcnerny, thanks so much for the generous offer, I will likely be heading home through Wyoming. I haven't done much planning because I've been fishing about 4hrs/day so not sure which route I'm going to take but I always enjoy meeting new people of similar interests! Thanks also for the links, I remember seeing a post that Ard discussed fishing from his bike. I've gone a couple times wet wading but have yet to go with all my wading gear. My 3wt rod/reel is a 4pc. that was given to me by a friend but I picked up an inexpensive Cabelas 6pc travel 5wt. the other day that will fit in my topcase or side case so I can lock it up...I just have to get bag mounts for my new-to-me VStrom and I should be set. My wading gear should fit in the dry bag I strap to my passenger seat with my tent, sleeping bag and ENO hammock.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

The 17 1/2" Brown - I promise I wasn't squishing him!
Click the image to open in full size.

My Wet wading setup - pretty rough
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

stacey,
welcome to the forum
sweet bike and sweet fish
looking forward to hearing/seeing more from you.

casey
heronwheels likes this.

ARFE
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronwheels View Post
mcnerny, thanks so much for the generous offer, I will likely be heading home through Wyoming. I haven't done much planning because I've been fishing about 4hrs/day so not sure which route I'm going to take but I always enjoy meeting new people of similar interests! Thanks also for the links, I remember seeing a post that Ard discussed fishing from his bike. I've gone a couple times wet wading but have yet to go with all my wading gear. My 3wt rod/reel is a 4pc. that was given to me by a friend but I picked up an inexpensive Cabelas 6pc travel 5wt. the other day that will fit in my topcase or side case so I can lock it up...I just have to get bag mounts for my new-to-me VStrom and I should be set. My wading gear should fit in the dry bag I strap to my passenger seat with my tent, sleeping bag and ENO hammock.
Stacey: Sweet looking bike! A few years back my wife and I did a road trip with the fishing gear, here is a photos as we going over South Pass (south of Lander, WY) heading over to the South Fork of the Snake to go fishing.

Larry
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Stacey: Sweet looking bike! A few years back my wife and I did a road trip with the fishing gear, here is a photos as we going over South Pass (south of Lander, WY) heading over to the South Fork of the Snake to go fishing.
Very nice bikes, nice to see how you have your fishing gear loaded as well. I'm so sorry about your wife, I've never really ridden with anyone else but I imagine sharing the amazing scenery and fun moments with someone would be very nice.

Just looking at where you rode, that looks like great motorcycle country! Thermopolis has been on my list for a while, I'm a bit of a pictograph/petroglyph nerd and they are supposed to have a nice panel there. I remember 9/11/11, I rode across the the Bighorn Mountains completely in awe and later up around Beartooth Pass to Chief Joseph Highway which was stunning and back To Cody...one of my favorite days of riding EVER! You live in a very beautiful area!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 AM

flyfishmich will become famous soon enoughflyfishmich will become famous soon enough

Stacy
I have never fished the Rogue but hear good things.
My buddy and I fish up north. We stay at another friends place in welston and fish from there.
The PM, Baldwin, Big Manistee, Little Manistee, Boardman-before the dam blowout, Also the Betsie. There are some great seasonal runs up there. I have not had any success with steelhead as we seem to miss the run. We do not have the luxury of deciding the night before and going we have to plan out a ways and sometimes when the water is up and temp is right the fish run to spawn-my work doesn't care.
PM holds some nice fish. Last time out we got some nice browns even though they were sitting deep in the holes dues to freezing temps but they liked what we had.
Picked up a few pike on the Big Man that was fun.
Locally we hit a small lake that is crammed with large mouth bass and blue gill-we do that in float tubes.
Other than that we fish the huron river which is great for small mouth and pike but also carp-have not had luck there either but they are there.

the au sable s on the list but also the tribs to the ausable. So we'll see in the next year. I am looking forwad to the trip out west