The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 AM

pleasantvalley is on a distinguished road
Default New in md

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to the art of the fly as well. After fishing with spinning reels for years I decided I needed to up the ante and get into the most traditional and challenging fishing there is. I'm sure I'll have some questions and this forum seems like a good place for answers. You may see me out around harpers ferry and the Antietam creek. I'll be the big guy struggling and cursing at the fly I got stuck in a tree.

Edit- first question, where do I download the ebooks that come with a new membership? I'll take all the free info I can get!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in md

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. There is a ton of information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the search function (look carefully and you will also see an advanced search function), but don't hesitate to ask questions. Sorry, I should know the answer to your ebook question but maybe someone else will know the answer.

Here are some other ideas to think about to expand your FF knowledge.
The Orvis Learning Channel has some great videos and other information for new FF, check that out. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Also Orvis has a podcast done by Tom Rosenbauer that has some great information. You can also download the podcasts to an IPod or IPad and listen to them while at the gym or maybe mowing the lawn.
Fly Fishing Podcasts | Weekly Fly Fishing Podcast Tips | Orvis Fishing Podcasts | Fly Fishing Tips W

YouTube has hundreds of videos on Fly Fishing, Fly Casting, Nymph Fishing, you name it and it is probably there.

Also check with your local fly shop, some shops offer very reasonable beginner classes and also they are a good source of information, like local hatch charts, river access, etc. You might also ask them if there is a local FF club in the area or a TU or Federation of Fly Fishers chapter. The idea being that if you can find a friend that has been FF for a number of years or a mentor in one of the clubs willing to help, your learning curve will steepen immensly.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum and also to our great sport!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM

pleasantvalley is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be heading by my local shop this evening to get a few more flies and leaders, I'll look into a lesson or 2 while I'm there. I have a friend who has been fly fishing this area for 30 years whom I also intend to wring some knowledge out of. If anyone does know anything about those e-books give me a shout.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...you'll find tons of infos here and feel free to ask questions
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

You should think about hooking up with Antitem Creek Flyfishers, an FFF chapter in the Hagerstown/Williamsport area. They have an active fly casting club and love to share their knowledge.