The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Member Introductions (
-   -   Hello (

hailfly 07-09-2013 05:43 AM

I'm Kim Brian Toth, from Oklahoma. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fly fishing in Oklahoma but I travel all over the eastern half of the US during the summer months. While I'm up here in Iowa this summer a coworker and I decided to try fly fishing, we were immediately hooked lol .
I need to find an instructor I dont live very far from the Orvis school in Mo, but I'm still up here in Iowa. If anyone could help me find a class in Ia Wi or Mn, I would appreciate it , I even got my wife trying to cast a fly rod.
Thanks, Kim

mcnerney 07-13-2013 09:26 PM

Re: Hello
Kim: Welcome to the forum, sorry I didn't see your post sooner!

Edit: I can't help with the local classes, but +1 for what Fred says below. There is a ton of information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions.
You might also want to take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, lots of great information there for beginners.
Also take a look at the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcasts by tom Rosenbauer, there are very well done with tons of great information.
Another site that has some great episodes is Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio. Take a look at their archives, I think you have to join to listen to archive episodes but it is free for a limited use.
Also don't forget YouTube, it has hundreds of videos on fly fishing, fly casting, nymphing, etc.

fredaevans 07-14-2013 08:57 AM

Welcome to the Asylum. As far as instructions go, start with a local fly shop for names/references. Early on in this 'sport' self-taught means a lot of frustration later on. Think 'Bad Habits' with your casting. Get them and then you have to un-learn same.

Hell of a time waster.

jpbfly 07-14-2013 09:27 AM

:welcome:Kim....hope you can find someone to help you;)