The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By hailfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM

hailfly has a spectacular aura abouthailfly has a spectacular aura about
Default Hello

I'm Kim Brian Toth, from Oklahoma. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fly fishing in Oklahoma but I travel all over the eastern half of the US during the summer months. While I'm up here in Iowa this summer a coworker and I decided to try fly fishing, we were immediately hooked lol .
I need to find an instructor I dont live very far from the Orvis school in Mo, but I'm still up here in Iowa. If anyone could help me find a class in Ia Wi or Mn, I would appreciate it , I even got my wife trying to cast a fly rod.
Thanks, Kim
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Kim: Welcome to the forum, sorry I didn't see your post sooner!

Edit: I can't help with the local classes, but +1 for what Fred says below. There is a ton of information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions.
You might also want to take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, lots of great information there for beginners. http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/
Also take a look at the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcasts by tom Rosenbauer, there are very well done with tons of great information. http://orvisffguide.libsyn.com/
Another site that has some great episodes is Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio. Take a look at their archives, I think you have to join to listen to archive episodes but it is free for a limited use. http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/archive.cfm
Also don't forget YouTube, it has hundreds of videos on fly fishing, fly casting, nymphing, etc.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 07-14-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Asylum. As far as instructions go, start with a local fly shop for names/references. Early on in this 'sport' self-taught means a lot of frustration later on. Think 'Bad Habits' with your casting. Get them and then you have to un-learn same.

Hell of a time waster.

Fred
Old 07-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Kim....hope you can find someone to help you