The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Noob Here (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/324769-noob-here.html)

front royalty 07-10-2013 07:20 PM

Noob Here
 
Hello All!

My name is John and I live in Front Royal, VA.

Picked up my first fly rod over the weekend, took it out for the first time yesterday and accidentally caught 10 fish, 2 of which were nice sized smallies that I just couldnt land. Got them about 2 feet away before they managed to hop off.

My setup is the Redington 2 pc Crosswater 590 combo, the 5 weight 9' setup.

Anyway, definitely gonna hold out and get some casting lessons, my loops are horrible, cant cast much more than 20-25', and its ugly.

Just wanted to stop in and say hello!

And so the addiction begins...

williamhj 07-10-2013 07:27 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Welcome. I'm sure the casting lesson will help you sort the cast out.

front royalty 07-10-2013 07:36 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Thanks. I have the opportunity to take lessons from somewhat of a local trout fishing legend, Harry Murray, in Edinburg, VA. Just need to put a couple other addictions on the back burner and put some coin together.

innes 07-10-2013 07:53 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Holy Smokes!! you're in the middle of fly fishing mecca. I've been to Murray's Fly Shop and he's the best source of info there is. Post some fishing reports and pictures so I can invade your territory when I come back. Thanks. SF

mcnerney 07-10-2013 09:13 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
John: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! As the others have said you are located in a great place to learn fly fishing!

front royalty 07-10-2013 09:41 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by innes (Post 571511)
Holy Smokes!! you're in the middle of fly fishing mecca. I've been to Murray's Fly Shop and he's the best source of info there is. Post some fishing reports and pictures so I can invade your territory when I come back. Thanks. SF

Youd be even happier to know that I just bought a piece of property IN the GWNF and will be building a small hunting/fishing cabin hopefully to be completed this year. Passage Creek 4 mi away, North Fork Shenandoah 1 HR hike away... (angels singing)

caseywise 07-10-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
welcome to the forum john:)


casey

mcnerney 07-10-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by front royalty (Post 571555)
Youd be even happier to know that I just bought a piece of property IN the GWNF and will be building a small hunting/fishing cabin hopefully to be completed this year. Passage Creek 4 mi away, North Fork Shenandoah 1 HR hike away... (angels singing)

Wow, now that sounds like one sweet location, congrats!

I forgot to mention that I bought my first fly rod from Murray's Fly Shop. Well actually, it was my first purchase, my father gave me an old fly rod I learned to cast on, but left it in a rental vehicle while on vacation so I had to replace that with something a little better and Murray was the guy!

front royalty 07-10-2013 10:03 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 571558)
Wow, now that sounds like one sweet location, congrats!

I forgot to mention that I bought my first fly rod from Murray's Fly Shop. Well actually, it was my first purchase, my father gave me an old fly rod I learned to cast on, but left it in a rental vehicle while on vacation so I had to replace that with something a little better and Murray was the guy!

Thanks! Hopefully they can teach me how to cast comfortably in one of their 4 hr classes. It looks like they try to squeeze a lot into the curriculum.

MFS 1/2-Day "On The Stream" Fly Fishing Lessons - Murray's Fly Shop

mcnerney 07-10-2013 10:29 PM

Re: Noob Here
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by front royalty (Post 571566)
Thanks! Hopefully they can teach me how to cast comfortably in one of their 4 hr classes. It looks like they try to squeeze a lot into the curriculum.

MFS 1/2-Day "On The Stream" Fly Fishing Lessons - Murray's Fly Shop

Yes, but you will be amazed at how your learning curve will improve. Definitely take the class, you won't regret a second of it.

Larry


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.