The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 PM

front royalty is on a distinguished road
Default Noob Here

Hello All!

My name is John and I live in Front Royal, VA.

Picked up my first fly rod over the weekend, took it out for the first time yesterday and accidentally caught 10 fish, 2 of which were nice sized smallies that I just couldnt land. Got them about 2 feet away before they managed to hop off.

My setup is the Redington 2 pc Crosswater 590 combo, the 5 weight 9' setup.

Anyway, definitely gonna hold out and get some casting lessons, my loops are horrible, cant cast much more than 20-25', and its ugly.

Just wanted to stop in and say hello!

And so the addiction begins...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noob Here

Welcome. I'm sure the casting lesson will help you sort the cast out.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks. I have the opportunity to take lessons from somewhat of a local trout fishing legend, Harry Murray, in Edinburg, VA. Just need to put a couple other addictions on the back burner and put some coin together.
williamhj and yonder like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Holy Smokes!! you're in the middle of fly fishing mecca. I've been to Murray's Fly Shop and he's the best source of info there is. Post some fishing reports and pictures so I can invade your territory when I come back. Thanks. SF
front royalty likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! As the others have said you are located in a great place to learn fly fishing!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
Holy Smokes!! you're in the middle of fly fishing mecca. I've been to Murray's Fly Shop and he's the best source of info there is. Post some fishing reports and pictures so I can invade your territory when I come back. Thanks. SF
Youd be even happier to know that I just bought a piece of property IN the GWNF and will be building a small hunting/fishing cabin hopefully to be completed this year. Passage Creek 4 mi away, North Fork Shenandoah 1 HR hike away... (angels singing)
mcnerney, williamhj and yonder like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum john

casey

ARFE
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by front royalty View Post
Youd be even happier to know that I just bought a piece of property IN the GWNF and will be building a small hunting/fishing cabin hopefully to be completed this year. Passage Creek 4 mi away, North Fork Shenandoah 1 HR hike away... (angels singing)
Wow, now that sounds like one sweet location, congrats!

I forgot to mention that I bought my first fly rod from Murray's Fly Shop. Well actually, it was my first purchase, my father gave me an old fly rod I learned to cast on, but left it in a rental vehicle while on vacation so I had to replace that with something a little better and Murray was the guy!
front royalty likes this.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Wow, now that sounds like one sweet location, congrats!

I forgot to mention that I bought my first fly rod from Murray's Fly Shop. Well actually, it was my first purchase, my father gave me an old fly rod I learned to cast on, but left it in a rental vehicle while on vacation so I had to replace that with something a little better and Murray was the guy!
Thanks! Hopefully they can teach me how to cast comfortably in one of their 4 hr classes. It looks like they try to squeeze a lot into the curriculum.

MFS 1/2-Day "On The Stream" Fly Fishing Lessons - Murray's Fly Shop
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by front royalty View Post
Thanks! Hopefully they can teach me how to cast comfortably in one of their 4 hr classes. It looks like they try to squeeze a lot into the curriculum.

MFS 1/2-Day "On The Stream" Fly Fishing Lessons - Murray's Fly Shop
Yes, but you will be amazed at how your learning curve will improve. Definitely take the class, you won't regret a second of it.

Larry