The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 04:05 PM

jimj40 is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner

I'm a 16 year old experienced fisherman. However, i have never fly fished and look to it for a greater challenge. I looked up and purchased what i need to catch bluegills because i figured they would be the easiest to start with. I'm looking for the most basic tips to help me on the water. I hope to work up to be able to trout fly fish.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. Looks like you are in a good area to fly fish. Tons of information on this forum, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions. Here are some ideas to gain more information:
Youtube has hundreds of videos on fly fishing, fly casting, etc.
Take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, it has some great videos and other information for beginers. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
Take a look at the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer, lots of great episodes for beginners.
The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer
Take a look at Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio, same deal lots of episodes that you will find interesting. I think you have to sign up to listen to the archive episodes but it is free for a limited time.
Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing
Also ask around the local fly shops to see if there is a local fly fishing club in your area. If you can find someone to mentor you, your fly fishing skills will get better much faster than trying to learn on your own.

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 PM

ryu1er is on a distinguished road

Like Larry suggested, Youtube bro thats where i learned from when i first started last year.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

here are some of the youtubers i learned from:
The Orvis Company
Redsfly
Tightlinesflyshop

hope they help you as much as they helped me
Old 07-13-2013, 04:49 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

It's not as mysterious as you might believe, especially if you're already a fisherman. Everything you know is transferable to the long rod...and if you're pretty good at it you'll be pretty good at this too. Good luck...-Mike
Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

to the site & to the sport! In addition to what the others have provided, the primary difference between fly fishing & other methods is the casting. Learn to cast properly. Some feel it's difficult to learn this sport & are intimidated by it, because of the casting techniques involved. That's really not true, but there is a bit more involved compared to casting a spinning or baitcasting rod. It's just another method. Get help if possible from a competent instructor. Video's & books are great, and can be very helpful, but first hand can provide answers then & there if you have questions.

You're at a great age to get started & panfish are an excellent target. That's how many of us got started!

Beyond that, once you learn to cast properly, the rest is the easy part!

Above all however, have fun with it!
jaybo41 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM

jimj40 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Beginner

Thx for all the help guys ill take a look at the stuff you suggested!