The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 PM

fisher_of_men is on a distinguished road
Default I am haunted by waters.......

Hello everyone! I'm Roger from Richmond, VA. I'm 35 but have been fly fishing since I was about 13. Started with my grandfathers fiberglass rod chasing smallmouth in the James River during the summer. Would ride my bike to the river and wade fish with buddies around the Huguenot bridge. Those were the days when there were still decent fish around there. Been chasing trout since I first went out west in 2003....Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, etc. Spent 10 days in Montana last summer around Missoula. Tried convincing my wife to move there. She looked at me like I had 3 heads. I didn't, last time I checked, but do have 3 kids, so that limits me to 1-2 trips per year. My son is finally getting old enough to take along, so I'm starting to get him into fishing, though I haven't put a fly rod in his hands yet. Plan to take him up to the SNP for brookies next spring. Might try the South River this year. I have family in Bristol so have fished the Soho every year for the past 8, although I'm thinking about trying to find a new place. That river is just too well known. It was stupid the last time I was there (last Oct). I looked up and down the river at one point (granted, it was a Saturday) and counted 15 other fisherman in the river that I could see. I need to find a river where you need to hike in a couple of miles to get to good water. The access is too easy on the Soho and there is only, what, 7 miles of river? But I digress...........
Fly fishing is my #1 passion (after the Lord and my family) and I dream about it almost every day. I'm excited to be a member of this forum and look forward to hopefully finding out about great places to fish that I wasn't aware of previously. I also hope to get advice on introducing kids to the sport. Like, which company makes the best kid's size waders?
Thanks and wishing you all Tight lines!!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am haunted by waters.......

to the forum....great introCan't help you with the kids' waders....my son is 31
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Welcome as JP has said a Great Intro lots of companies make Waders for Kids however as well I'm not up on which are The Best.
Brian.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of great folks on this site that will help out. I can't help with the kids gear either, my son turns 39 this week.

Larry

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Although my kids are 21 to 31 when they were small always got decent fitting and priced waders at Cabelas. Actually started trend in my town while for years many of the locals were buying there kids hip waders at Walmart when they found what o was getting my kids light weight chest waders for at Cabelas many switched . Good luck with your search!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM

fisher_of_men is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Will definitely check out Cabela's