The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By skrap
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By jpbfly
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from SoCal

Hello All. Well, found what looks like a great fly fishing forum you all have built. Not very experienced with the fly rod but got bit by the bug for the second time last month and feel it is about time to this dive head first into the sport for good.

Little back ground, if you will. About 1984 I went on a family fishing adventure/vacation to the Madison River Valley with my folks and some other families. For the first week we stayed at the little cabins at the Slide Inn on the Madison. Floated and Waded the Madison, fished Hebgan and some in YNP. The second week we stayed at, what I remember to be a cabin/resort kind of place on the outskirts of West Yellowstone. Had lots of trout ponds, etc. Really a neat place for the 13 year old that I was. On the trip I really enjoyed fly fishing and took to the fly rod quite easily. Caught lots of trout and had a blast.

Fast forward to July 2013

We went on a family vacation with my wife, 10 year old son and another family to an area outside of Belt, MT. Didn't have much plans to fly fish until the wife of the couple we went on vacation with, her uncle (may be a board member here or many of you may know him well) came up from Wyoming with his wife and stayed for a few nights. He brought several sets of his FF gear so we headed to Sluice Box SP and fished for about and hour or two. John, the Uncle, refreshed my memory on technique and also taught my 10 year old the basics. We had a great time. Not to mention my son caught his first rainbow at about 8" long. He was thrilled and hooked, so to speak.

After four days in MT we had a free condo in Sun Valley, ID for three days so we headed out on the 9 hour drive. Decided to take the scenic route which lead us directly South eventually taking us through the Madison River Valley area. Driving through that area really brought back great memories of my time spent there nearly 30 years earlier. Not to mention I want my son to enjoy this type of adventure I did when was his age. The FF bug has bit me hard and now I have lots to learn. Currently we have scheduled a family vacation back to Ennis, MT area for 2014

Sorry for the long intro. Won't have a lot to contribute as I'm a nOOb here but lots of reading to do. Thanks for having me.
mcnerney, fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Greetings from SoCal

Hello,

Nothing quite beats a good introduction and you did a bang up job on yours The only thing you left out was a first name, heck after all that reading, I feel like I know quite a bit about you but can't hardly call you krap with a strait face My name's Ard.

Don't feel that you can't contribute because you're new, questions are contributions, and important ones too. Our members love helping others and answering questions is a favorite pastime here.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

great intro
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information on this site, take some time to browse around, use the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions, we will try our best to help you out.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Memories of places past. Read the postings and 'I've been there!' Places I should be there.

All good things. Old Yellow Lab just walked into my office and 'SIR, it's time for my breakfast kibble.' This Dog can read a clock, 4.00 AM/PM I can count on him giving me 'The nose nudge.'

Remarkable.

Fred
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

skrap...

Welcome !!!

You guys might want to consider honing the skill sets up here during the Fall, Winter and Spring...

Click the image to open in full size.

My son Michael on The Lower Owens River, just outside of Bishop, CA...the only place there will be consistent, fishable flows close to SoCal, this year...before heading up here again...

Click the image to open in full size.

Michael and his sister, Ally... in the Channels section of the Madison River, just outside Ennis, MT...

PM me if you need any help with locations and patterns to use...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you here on the forum!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Ard. Good point. Forgot my name didn't I? My name is Hoby.

Planettrout. I am familiar with Bishop but not what is outside of town. Heard there was good fishing in the area but have always been doing the Skiing thing. Bishop is a great little town though. Gonna have to check out the FF opportunities. Beautiful pics you have there.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Hoby,

That's better, now I'll remember you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Hoby,

That's better, now I'll remember you.

Ard
Like wise. Btw, I visited AK for the first time in June. Spent 4 days in Seward. Cool little town and did a bit of salmon fishing. Didn't do so well though. One salmon, some ling cod and rock fish. What a beautiful state you live in. The Seward HWY was unbelievable! We are talking about a trip back to AK in 2015. Hope it happens.