The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By pat1954

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM

pat1954 is on a distinguished road
Default Old fool new to fly fishing

Hi folks,

We've recently moved back to the area of my youth on the Restigouche River in Northern New Brunswick. This summer I've reacquainted myself to the pleasure of fishing after a nearly 45 year hiatus and have started learning how to fish with a fly rod. More like thrashing the waters than fishing but it is getting better.

I've been trolling the internet looking at various sites dealing with the hobby and it's many facets. Many times my search has led me to this forum and I found the posts and articles ver informative and entertaining so I've jumped in and became a forum member. I hope to continue learning from the various boards and maybe even someday have some stories to share and some fishing successes to share.

Pat
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Old fool new to fly fishing

Welcome to the forum. Sometimes fish are really attracted to thrashing the water! You'll be catching tons of fish before you know it!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Add my warm welcome from the Darkest Reaches of Southern Oregon.

Fred
Old 09-11-2013, 08:04 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Glad to have another NBer aboard; Welcome! I had some fun up your way this season and have been watching the water level in case I get a chance for a fall colors trip. Water has been low but we got a huge t-storm here tonight!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum!!

casey

ARFE
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pat: Welcome aboard, glad to see you getting back into fly fishing after all those years. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.
There is a ton of information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions, we will try our best to answer them. I started fly fishing back in the early 80's, I probably spent a year thrashing the water, don't make the same mistake I did, get some help from a local fly shop or certified casting instructor, you will be amazed at how fast they can get your casting straightened out.

YouTube has hundreds if not thousands of videos on fly fishing, fly casting, fly tying, nymph/streamer/dry fly fishing etc. Here are a few ideas for other areas that might help you learn the sport faster:
Checkout the Orvis Fly Fishing Learning Center: How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Orvis also does a Fly Fishing Podcast by Tom Rosenbaeur that is very informative: The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer

Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio has some great episodes in their archives, you have to join to listen to the archived episodes, but it is free for a limited time: Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing

The Itinerant Angler has some very interesting podcasts: Podcasts | The Itinerant Angler

Larry

Larry
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Larry posted some great links! I look forward to seeing some pictures of fishing in New Brunswick.