The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mt_flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from the banks of the Yellowstone River

As I am writing this, it is just past 5 AM mountain time on September 29 here on the banks of the Yellowstone River about 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park. It is quite windy outside just now, and I can hear the wind whistling through the nearby trees. It will not be an easy day to be fishing on the river.

However, summer is now over here and the successful fishermen will be battling the weather regardless of the wind and throwing large streamers to aggressive big brown trout.

My wife and I spend our summers here in Southwest Montana, and will be leaving for our home in PA shortly where we stay during the winter. Unfortunately, my fishing equipment, drift boat, and other summer toys have been put away for the winter, so I will not be experiencing this fantastic fall fishing - my last float was a couple days ago with my best friend - I rowed while he fished - perhaps 20 fish hooked, about 12 landed, most of which were between 15" to 22" brown trout.

After a financial career in large multinational corporations, I was able to take an early retirement a few years back. These days, I fish quite a bit, both here in SW MT, as well as in the eastern US, mainly PA and NY. I also tie my own flies, and when not fishing, you might find me in the gym, where I spend most winter mornings, or hiking somewhere here in MT - a friend and I walk several miles or more practically every day when we're not fishing.

I'm looking forward to my membership on this website, and although I may not post frequently, I will be reading and enjoying it here daily.

John
mcnerney, jpbfly and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hello from the banks of the Yellowstone River

Welcome. I was in Yellowstone at the beginning of the month and now I miss it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

John,

Welcome to the forum. When you get back in the spring let me know if you want to do a float. Always nice to find extra people to split time on the oars.

Dan
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hello from the banks of the Yellowstone River

Add my welcome and sounds like you've got a heck of a good thing going.'

Fred
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Larry

Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
John,

Welcome to the forum. When you get back in the spring let me know if you want to do a float. Always nice to find extra people to split time on the oars.

Dan
Dan -

Will do. I'm on the water, somewhere in the area lots of days every week, and I'm also in Bozeman and vicinity regularly. That's a nice looking fish in your aviator, by the way. I didn't get many good pictures of large fish this summer, so yours make me envious.

And thanks to you others who extended greetings.

John
Old 09-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

.John.Looking forward to reading your posts and seeing your pics
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum John! Look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi John.
I'll also join in with the rest of The Guys & wish you a warm Welcome.
Brian.