The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Have any of you ever quit fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
I want to re-invent the type of fisherman that I am. Chasing species at key times, right conditions, with little regard for distance. I don't wanna just fish garbage water every weekend just for the sake of being able to say I went fishing. I think I'm making the decision to fish less but really focus on what I enjoy most out of the sport.
Sounds like you've got it figured out.
Sep likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I've stopped fishing for long periods, or fished very sparingly for several years due to pressures of work and family, but I never "quit" fishing.

Quitting suggests a conscious decision NOT TO FISH, like a person deciding to quit eating red meat...it implies an intent not to fish for a reason.

I never did that...I just ran out of time for a few years...just as I stopped playing golf for 8 years in that period, but never quit the game....
I think I like the way you put it best. Though I never intended to give up completely, I did make a conscious choice to take a rest. I'm tired and stressed and really just have a lot on my plate. I'm all about finding that happy balance right now where all parts of life are being met with deserved attention.

Thanks for all who responded and there is quite a lot that was said that I spent time to consider.

I missed the water and missed the pursuit but even after a 6 month "break" I don't miss those phone calls on the water from a pissed off wife wondering where I'm at. If you guys can remedy that...

The river was flowing a bit lower then I would have liked but the fall colors in Wisconsin were just starting to pop.

Click the image to open in full size.

The salmon were in thick. As many as I've ever seen in the river at once. We estimated the numbers in our one mile stretch not in the hundreds but well over a thousand. We we finding pools filled with not just a few salmon but more like a dozen.

The kings are nearing the end and the coho are still moving in fresh wearing their best colors. Though we were not here for kings they were unavoidable in those numbers. We spent most of the time fishing behind the big pods for whatever might be there sipping on eggs. My buddy had the lucky rod and turned up our first Great Lakes trout of the fall.

It was weird, even with those numbers of salmon in the river, the pike were still snapping at flies. Normally when all those aggressive big fish move in, the warm water fish shut down.

I really missed this...

Thanks everyone!
Hardyreels, dean_mt and hookbender like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I missed the water and missed the pursuit but even after a 6 month "break" I don't miss those phone calls on the water from a pissed off wife wondering where I'm at. If you guys can remedy that...
Ah yes. Two approaches I have found: The unhealthy one is fishing places that don't get cell phone reception. Perhaps easier to do in Colorado than Wisconsin. However, it is a rather passive aggressive approach and doesn't really help. A better one is being realistic about time away. I don't go out fishing as often, instead I go on days that I can be gone for long periods of time, into the evening. I also make sure to watch the kids so she gets time away to do things she enjoys but can't do with the kids.

The third one I'm working on is to get her fishing. That's a work in progress.

Great pictures.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I have many times and I only been fishing for 8 years, 1 year fly fishing.

The longest one was when I quit fishing for more than a year when my wife was pregnant, it was hard at the beginning but I gotten used to it. And I'll quit again in a heart beat if she is pregnant again.

The other short times (2-3 weeks mostly) were I when I had to prepare for a series Half or Full marathon runs, it would better to rest than fishing.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's one you'll have to work out on your own!

I used to be pretty adamant about not even carrying a phone when fishing. I do now if I'm alone and know I'll be somewhere a little more remote or gone for a long day. The irony is that even a little remote in Montana is certainly out of any service area. Anyway, when I go fishing it is either a "I'll be back by 3" kinda thing or I'm going "for the day" in which there is no end time ... which is obviously the way it's supposed to be.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't miss those phone calls on the water from a pissed off wife wondering where I'm at. If you guys can remedy that...
You've brought up something that affects so many of us. Perhaps it deserves its own thread.

I made a mistake much earlier in my life. My wife joined me on a drive up into some Nevada backcountry where I was fishing for Lahontan Cutthroat in a series of beaver ponds on a tiny creek that was merely trickling at the end of the summer. I told her I'd only be gone an hour while she was reading in the car. I returned three hours later and she said she'd never accompany me fishing again.

I can say that since then, she's been pretty true to her word. She's maybe come with me two or three times when I was fishing in a pretty place where she could enjoy being outdoors as well -- and the NV incident took place 33 years ago.

One thing we do now . . . we just assume that if I head out fishing, there's no time limit on it . . . since I tend to stay out longer if the fishing's bad rather than if it's good. Of course, this approach may not work for you for a variety of reasons.

I think Williamhj is on the right track.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Whenever you put an end time on a day of fishing it is guaranteed to hurt...whether its you, your significant other, or your fishing buddy that rode with you.
Hardyreels and buddhist_palm like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

We will leave the wives and gf's for another thread. I may not be fishing everyday but it feels good to get back on the water. I'll be sure to keep you guys up on some more fish of the fall.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I made decisions in my life which lead to my not fishing for far too long a time. I got through these times tying flies in my head, re-catching the fish I have already caught and going over and over the fish I didn't catch - some of the problems I think I actually solved, or at least I came up with some new approaches.