The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Have any of you ever quit fishing?

I, up until the last 6 months, have fished every week for the last 8 or so years. My only friends were fishing buddies and we would fish rain or shine. 6 months ago I felt a lot of other negative pressures in my life really starting to build up. These pressures took a toll on me emotionally and instead of escaping into fishing I basically just shut down. It was crazy, it just didn't seem fun anymore, so, I just stopped. Didn't even look back...

So it's been 6 months and I've done lots of searching. My life has balance once again. I feel right with my family, my job, my home situation, and car. Everything once again feels at peace.

I want to re-invent the type of fisherman that I am. Chasing species at key times, right conditions, with little regard for distance. I don't wanna just fish garbage water every weekend just for the sake of being able to say I went fishing. I think I'm making the decision to fish less but really focus on what I enjoy most out of the sport. No more trolling plugs in circles around the lake. Forget climbing the boulders on the big lake to whip spoons over and over, just hoping to connect. I'm sick of bobbers, annoyed with rod holders, and sick of freezing my berries while ice fishing.

Well maybe I still wanna Ice fish...

Anyways, I type this on the eve of my first fishing trip in 6 months. I am nervous and excited all at once though I feel like it will still fit just like my old visor. Wish me luck, two days of chasing salmon and trout up the Lake Michigan coast line. Nice to see a lot of the same names here.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:34 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have any of you ever quit fishing?

Just go out and have a good time, I have left the sport several times and when everything clicks into place I pick it back up. The last time I sold my bass fishing gear and started fly-fishing, hopefully in a few years it will be time to learn how to ice fish.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum,

In answering your question, no. From the time I was a little boy I was mesmerized by moving water and my mind captivated by what secrets it held beneath its surface. I wanted to fish, I wanted that more than a bicycle. In all the years that have passed since then I've faced whatever life and or my bad choices threw at me but fishing was the regulator. It kept things in order if only for the time between when I picked up my rod until I put it away.

I've had jobs that ran my stress levels to the hilt. I was the guy who kept pressing the floor button on the elevator hoping I could make it reach my floor faster. I carried 2 cell phones and a pager trying to keep up. I've worked with people that I wanted to beat up. I've quit jobs and about everything else in life that a fellow can quit but the idea of quitting fishing never once crossed my mind, honest.

Regardless of whatever else is happening be it positive or negative, when I go fishing hope springs eternal. The past 3 trips out I have been blanked, in Alaska I have been blanked! That will not affect me tomorrow and I'll fish as if I were on a roll.

I wish you a good trip and I hope you find your mind to be a blank slate waiting for the Lake or river to fill that slate with peace and contentment.

Ard
mcnerney, dean_mt and cochise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I've gotten tired of hobbies or interests, jobs, etc., I think everyone does or has at some point in their life. I used to want to ride my motorcycle(s) every Sat or Sun but got tired of that. You miss out on other things if you only focus on one hobby or interest. I also like to try new or different things, and that's why I'm here at a FF forum and not the crappie forum. But you can fish for crappie with a fly rod, so..... I've also gotten interested in a different type fishing boat than tin ones, so I'm playing with it. I enjoy rigging up boats to work for my type/style of fishing, so it gives me something to do and think about and outta jail. JK on the jail part
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I've stopped fishing for long periods, or fished very sparingly for several years due to pressures of work and family, but I never "quit" fishing.

Quitting suggests a conscious decision NOT TO FISH, like a person deciding to quit eating red meat...it implies an intent not to fish for a reason.

I never did that...I just ran out of time for a few years...just as I stopped playing golf for 8 years in that period, but never quit the game....
Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Yes, it was dark & I got tired & hungry, so called it a day. I went back the next day however!

I've never given up fishing. Have quit jobs, but can't imagine doing so with fishing. Like others I've gone extended periods of time without doing any fishing, as life does get in the way sometimes, but as long as I'm able to move, I'll plan on fishing the rest of my life!
dean_mt likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quit fishing ? Naw !
You didn't quit fishing, either. It was just a 6 month hiatus, that let you refocus. If you felt pressured to go fishing against your will, and only went thru the motions, then a break was in order.
But even if you cut the plant to the ground....
The roots are still in the soil.
Your "new season" is about to begin. Relax, and allow yourself to enjoy it.
When I was in sales, I had a regional manager who said " a salesman is the luckiest man in the working world, because no matter how bad his month was, he gets reborn on the 1st of the next month."
That little homily has helped me through quite a few projects that weren't going well. It even applies to fishing. I might not catch anything today, but when I go out next week, it's a fresh start. Get me back on the water !
Welcome aboard. Thanks for the post. Please keep us up to date on your new adventures.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quit? No, but here are times where I just can't physically do so. Sit in the open end of the Jeep, with an old Yellow Lab, and just look at the river moving by.

Rods didn't move off the front of the car; yellow tennis balls got tossed for Sandy. He needed a bath anyway.

fae

Edit: One guess as to who just walked into my office looking for 'treats?' Hard to 'ignore' 100 pounds of Puppie whose staring you in the eye. ...
Hardyreels and dean_mt like this.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Some great responses here. Since the day I bought my first fly rod the thought has never crossed my mind. Why would I quit fishing? I mean why make a conscious decision to stop doing one of the few things that can take me away from the everyday and cool my mind like nothing else?

Like Are and Fred, moving water just calls me. If I can't fish for some reason I can watch a river or stream or creek gurgle and flow for an hour and be more content than most any time.

Good luck on the Big Lake! I'm sure she'll leave you'll filled...yet yearning for more.
bigjim5589 and Hardyreels like this.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I usually quit at the end of December, but come New Years Day I take it up again. This past year I know I've fished less than any year in the past 15, but I've never felt like giving it up.