The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 AM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Virginia

Howdy from Ruther Glen, VA. After bass fishing for many years with bait caster and spinning rods I decided to try something new. The fact that the lakes are so crowded with pleasure boats, jet skis and bass fishers was a big factor in choosing to sell my Triton bass boat and buy a 12' Wilderness Tarpon kayak to fish small rivers and ponds. I do still use my conventional rods occasionally but I have truly fallen in love with my fly rods. I'm having more fun fishing for bluegill with a 4 wt rod than I've had in the last several years from a bass boat. My old bassing buddies can laugh and look down at me if they want but I find casting a fly rod from a kayak totally relaxing and feel more connected to nature than I have in years.

The things I hope to try this years are fishing for smallmouth (one of my all time favorite fish) on a few shallow rivers in my area and I hope to get a little casting done during the annual shad run in my area. I'm also hoping to mix a fly fishing trip in with my annual motorcycle trip this year but I have not decided what I want to fish for yet. For now I'm just waiting for the water to warm up and dreaming of things to come.

So if you live between Richmond and Fredericksburg Virginia and are looking for someone to fish with give me a shout.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Virginia

Hello Cadhopper,
Sorry for not giving you a proper welcome.
Glad you have joined us, feel free to ask any questions, as this is a good group of knowledgable and friendly people here more than willing to help you out.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Have fun with our great sport.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

WELCOME! Got a lot of Bass fly fishers here so you will feel all warm and fuzzy. ;-)
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see bass fishermen here. I haven't had a lot of luck with bass on a fly rod but after reading a lot of posts here I will be armed with plenty of new tricks.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just wanted to make it known that there's a great musician from Fredrickburg- by the name of Keller Williams. Kinda weird, but super talented, and just fun to listen to- YouTube - Keller Williams - "Love Handles"

He plays everything on this one- YouTube - Keller Williams - Play This

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's some great stuff Cliff.

I think he and Larry Keel have done some work together, I would like to hear some of that too.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*