The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By untied
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By untied
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM

untied will become famous soon enough
Default testing the waters

hello everyone! I am just begining to think about maybe jumping into somthing I have always wanted to do. I don't know anyone who fly fishes, I don't own a single item of fly fishing gear. Heck, I dont even spin fish much, but I have allways been interested in learning to fly fish and decided 37 is a good age to start. I did the same thing with deer hunting 2 yrs ago and this fall took a modestly racked buck with a bow for my first successfull harvest. I learned from youtube/websites/forums and anyone else who was kind enough to put up with my dumb questions. So I thought why not do the same thing with fly fishing? So thank you in advance for answering questions and really offering complete stangers the chance to leach off the knowledge you had to gain through the school of hard knocks.
My wife and I are raising 3 boys (ages 7, 5, 3) and are expecting our first girl in March. I know time and money are two areas of my life that I never seem to have enough of, just another reason forum members who are willing to share their experinces with others (lessoning the learning curve for newbs like me) have my gratitude.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: testing the waters

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to pick up some knowledge and advice. Some of it is even good What part of the country are you located in? What kind of fish might you target? There are people from all over on here so there's a good chance you'll find some local knowledge.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

You have come to a great place to learn and make friends that will not only help you out but go fishing with you. Welcome to the family!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Untied...

I agree with William, the more information you can provide us the easier it is to give precise answers to your questions. I was glad to see it took over a year to get your first buck and you didn't give up. It can be the same with fly fishing, if your focus is not catching fish right away but rather learning to appreciate the nuances of casting and enjoying the beautiful nature, in and out of the water then I expect the pleasure derived from fly fishing will be even greater. There may be a few "lucky" days of catching early on but it usually takes time to become tuned in, sort of a "trial by fire" that each of us went through. There are many experienced members here whom can help you with just about any question, so don't be hesitant to ask. Good luck and I expect to be reading about your adventures soon...

Dave
Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM

untied will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Welcome to the forum Untied...

I agree with William, the more information you can provide us the easier it is to give precise answers to your questions. I was glad to see it took over a year to get your first buck and you didn't give up. It can be the same with fly fishing, if your focus is not catching fish right away but rather learning to appreciate the nuances of casting and enjoying the beautiful nature, in and out of the water then I expect the pleasure derived from fly fishing will be even greater. There may be a few "lucky" days of catching early on but it usually takes time to become tuned in, sort of a "trial by fire" that each of us went through. There are many experienced members here whom can help you with just about any question, so don't be hesitant to ask. Good luck and I expect to be reading about your adventures soon...

Dave
Spending my first deer season in the tree stand never having a deer come with in shooting range I found out how much I actually enjoy just being in nature, which has given me the motivation to pursue fly fishing.
A little more info: I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa. I am not really sure where or what to start fishing. I thought I could get set up and fish some ponds for Bluegill, I have heard this is a little easier on the novice and it sounds like it would be good practice casting and getting used to the gear.
Thanks for the warm welcome folks
littledavid123 and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:38 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum. There are a few active forum members from Iowa. One of the biggest challenges for a new flyer is picking gear that is approximately right. Several of us have plenty or rigs for you to test cast. I wish I had that option before I started buying so much gear.
fredaevans likes this.