The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM

revdan is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy from Western Illinois

Hi Brothers and Sisters of the long rod,

I am a newby here. I retired a year ago and decided to dust off the fly rods and fly tying vice. As I am writing we are under a wind chill of -30. Needless to say I am dreaming about spring and trout and smallmouth bass fishing. I am looking forward to trout fishing in Northwest Iowa or Missouri. If any of you have any suggestions on good places to go I would appreciate the info. The smallmouth bass fishing I do right here at home in some of the small rivers in the area. I found out a number of years back that a 3 or 4 pound smallie on a fly rod is a blast. I have been tying up foam hoppers and wooly worms during these cold days and will be doing some poppers later today. It is good to find a place where we all talk the same language (flies and tight loops).

Keep on Casting,

Dan
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Guy from Western Illinois

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of people here that fish the areas you are talking about for trout (I am one of them). Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

welcome to the team

not sure if your north west but i make it out to the apple river now and then, also same goes for iowa trout fishing

stick around, you'll love it here
Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

HI Dan,

I hope you'll spend a little time here getting to know some members who are near to your location as well as those far away. You'll find this to be a friendly & informative group.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Hey Dan.

I lived in your neck of the woods when I was working for Cat. What part of IL are you from?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Revdan, lots of good folks on here. Hardyreels is running a raffle on a couple of good books and all you have to do is a comment on his thread, for some really cool stories check out his blog. Just click on the address below and it will take you to the raffle.

February Raffle from Life On The Line Fly Fishing;

Dave
mridenour likes this.

Last edited by littledavid123; 02-06-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here, you will enjoy
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome Dan. Where at in western IL? Most of the good Iowegian trout water is in the Northeast. Is that what you meant? I'm from the QC, perhaps we can fish sometime.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to warmer wx as I'm sure you are, it was -15 degrees here in western Wyoming this morning, looks like this cold stuff is about to move out, thank goodness. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Larry

Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to warmer wx as I'm sure you are, it was -15 degrees here in western Wyoming this morning, looks like this cold stuff is about to move out, thank goodness. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Larry
Yeah, it moved to here. -19 at my house this morning. I keep telling myself that in just a few months I'll be complaining that it is 125 degrees warmer with 100% humidity.