The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New Members Please Read

Hi to all of the new members who have posted in this thread. NAFFF is really glad to have you join. The more you post the more you will enjoy the site. So please have a good time and maybe we all can learn a little more about fly fishing.

Frank
Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 PM

chief41 is on a distinguished road

hello, My name is Mike I am just starting to learn how to fly fish. Hope I get the hang of it, my oldest son is turning 8 in june he always asks to go fly fishing but i never went myself so hopefully I lurn so in turn I can teach him.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Fly fishing is not hard to learn. It takes some practice and reading. You can get a lot of help here on NAFFF and learn on your own. That is not the easiest or quickest way to learn but a lot of people have done it. DVDs will help with your casting. Learning with a buddy is real helpful and will heighten your enjoyment of fly fishing.

The best way to get a good start on your casting is to take a couple of casting lessons. Some fly shops give free lessons and fly fishing clubs are a good place to learn. So don't be bashful about asking questions but also read through the forums on NAFFF. The search tool can be helpful.

Frank
Old 05-18-2009, 03:26 PM

skins2215 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New Members Please Read

Hello from Montana folks! I stumbled across this forum today (while at work! ) and it really looks like a great place to learn new things. I'm as "novice" as you can get when it comes to fishing (i mean NOVICE...as in, i just learned how to tie a couple of knots)...so, I apologize in advance for any insanely idiotic questions I throw your way...but I do look forward to all of the great insight and of course to picking your brains!!! Take care all and I look forward to chatting with you.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Hi skins2215,

Welcome to the forum. We have a bunch of members from your general area. Don't be bashful about asking questions. There are a bunch of nice folks on this forum and very helpful to a newbie.

Frank
Old 05-18-2009, 04:30 PM

skins2215 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Frank-

With some luck, and all of your help, i'm hoping to be a newbie in no time!!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,
New on this site. I got out of another because they suddenly won't let me post because of my MSN acct!
I've been fishing flys for about (geez! has it really been??) 20 years and I've been tying for about (gulp!) 15. Seeing the numbers like that really makes me think I should be better at both. My epiphany came early while I was really still learning to spin fish. Fishing way too heavy tackle and garden hackle, my wife and I were blanketed by a blizard hatch. All the trout, bass and panfish were having a field day on top and my bait was being ignored on the bottom. I was very frustrated because even as a tyro, I could tell I had the bait in the wrong place. A few years later I handicapped myself with one of those horrible Shakespear composite 7 weights and started up a steep learning curve.
From what little I've seen of this site so far it looks like a good one! I'll be around!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jojer, welcome to the board. Glad you found us.

mark
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 PM

jly is on a distinguished road

Greetings, Fisherfolk. Jerry here, new member. After a lifetime (well, it's not over yet) of those other types of fishing, I started to learn fly fishing about 10 years ago, under the coaching of a friend here in Minnesota who is an accomplished fly angler. However, a busy career got in the way, and the gear I purchased sat in the garage for a long time. Now, having recently left that job, I am now digging into fly fishing with a new energy and really enjoying it. Much to learn, but also much to relish. That's what life is all about, right?

I look forward to learning from all of you. One goal right now is to zero in on a decent 4 wt for trout streams. For starters I need to learn the effect of rod action and make a good choice. Can anyone suggest a range of reasonably priced rods to try out?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jly, welcome to the board. glad you found us.

The good news is that you have a ton of options for gear. I think your best bet would be to post the question in the rod forum (under the gear section) You should get a lot of good info.

I think, in most cases a four weight would be a good choice for small streams and small flies for trout and panfish-- it sounds like you have other fly gear as well. (A 9 foot 5 weight for trout or 6 weight for trout and bass might be a better all around choice if you don't. They'll still cast the small stuff, but you'll be able to through larger flies a bit easier too.)

In general, something with a medium fast action--- rather than a fast action rod might be a bit easier if you're learning or relearning how to cast, and will be more forgiving of lighter tippets used with small flies.

You might give some thought to length too. A 9 foot might be helpful if you need to get you're backcast over stuff behind you and help with mending and reach out with longer casts occassionally, but you may want something shorter if you're swinging it around a lot of brush and overhead cover on small streams, and generally working closer where something like a 7 1/2 or 8' rod might be a better choice.

Also give some thought as to a ballpark budget-- there's some great stuff at virtually every price point and it will help folks narrow it down.

Good luck, looking forward to more of your posts. there are a lot of helpful folks here that can give you some good options for a new stick.

mark