The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:20 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Members Please Read

Hi All, I just started fly fishing about 2 months ago and finally caught my first fish this morning! It was a 5 inch sunfish, but it's a start...... Can't wait to get one of those trout that are always eyeing me up but not taking. Cheers!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ant welcome to the board and congrats on your fish. The first of many to come.

By the way your namesake, ants, are a very effective pattern this time of year for trout in PA, along with other terrestrials like beetles and hoppers. Try them along shady areas near the bank.

Good luck!

mark
Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the tip Mark!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 PM

jly is on a distinguished road

Mark,

Thanks for the pointers. I'm actually thinking in terms of an 8-footer, for the reasons you mentioned. It strikes me that there are so many good options out there, I may just need to make the leap and not get too caught up in the fine points of decision making.

I'll spend some time with the gear forum, as you suggested.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM

braindead is on a distinguished road

Greetings all! I consider myself an advanced veteran rookie and now freshly retired have time to get out on the local rivers and lakes here in Colorado. Looks like a ton of good information here and I will likely spend hours on the forums.

Peace!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi braindead,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your recent retirement. I look forward to your participation.

Frank
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Howdy Folks, Been on this forum since March and it was really only this year I,ve been seriously fly fishing here in northwest england where things are very much different than the states. For a start as I,m now an old f--t I don,t drive any more and my wife is disabled so finds it uncomfortable to take me out to waters nearby so I,ve had to rely on the generosity of the FFF members I,m also a member of and they,ve come to my rescue big-time. My only regret is that I never learned to cast properly as over here one has to cast a fair way to reach the fish Unless you fish rivers and so far I haven,t connected with anyone who fishes rivers, but hopefully in future... Any way you fellas in the states don,t realise how lucky you are. You generally can buy a state fishing license and go. Not so here in england. Just to carry two rods you must buy an Environmental Agency license-non-migratory salmonids and coarse fish 27(about$40), migratory salmonids 38 and then when you reach the water you intend to fish you have to buy a day-ticket or permit from the people who Own the water. With the exception of a few small rivers all waters are privately owned! And then you Pay for how many trout you want to take for the table or Catch and Release and some places will Not allow you to c&r-you have to kill whatever you catch-even if it,s six inches long! So I love fly fishing and fly tying, but you can see it ain,t cheap and that,s Before you buy all the tackle! Enjoy guys and just make sure private ownership never encroaches on your sport. Oh and by the way when you fish waters that don,t have trout most say you have to release any fish you catch and this country has some big zander(european walleye), pike, perch and catfish!
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM

noirwest is on a distinguished road

Hello. Have been chasing fish for some time now but this will be the first season doing it with a flyrod. Our waters tend to be smaller out here in the Utah high country and sometimes require a few hours hike to wet a line but like most things, it's all in the journey. Looking forward to looking around in here.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 AM

steelyaddict is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

My name is Joe, I am happy to be a member of the Fly Forum! I live in Northern California and love fly fishing!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy steelyaddict! Happy to have you on board. You may want to repost this in member introductions however, Just so it's easier to find. There are a lot of great members here and a ton of good information. You will love the site. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Dan