The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 9 Post By photoguy
  • 1 Post By spm
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough
Default Yet another 'new' old guy finding his way back

I became interested in fly fishing as a kid in the mid 60's. Don't honestly recall what caught my interest as I came from a salt water flounder fishing family and fresh water fishing wasn't part of my world. Standing in the sporting goods section of the local Army/Navy store I spotted a fly rod and reel set-up and found it intriguing. I bought it on the spot, a St Croix 8' rod with a Pflueger 1494 1/2 reel with an extra spool. I loaded one with a 6 wt Cortland floating line and the other with a 6 wt sinking line.

Inasmuch as I was a kid and the internet didn't exist, I didn't have any idea what to do with my new tackle or the resources to find out, so my rod and reel ended up in a closet for years. By the mid 70's my interest was sparked again with the addition of a new brother-in-law into the family who knew a little about fresh water fishing. I ended up buying a new Fenwick 806 rod to experiment with using the same Pflueger reel. Well, turns out that my brother in law knew nothing about fly fishing so I ended up buying a Mitchell/Berkley spin rod/reel and off I went into the new world of lakes and ponds.

By the late 70's my interest in fly fishing was rekindled when I moved into Boston not very far from an Orvis dealer. There was something about the Orvis 7'9" Far and Fine graphite rod that caught my eye, most likely the small comfortable cigar shaped, fine tipped handle. (I say that because every time I look at a rod, the first thing I look at is the handle and if it's not tapered down at the rod end, I pass on picking it up...weird I know.) Not having the resources to buy the complete Orvis rod, I bought the blank and all of the necessary components to finish the rod. I bought a Hardy Prince to go along with the rod.

Like my previous attempts at learning the sport, this blank went only as far as my putting the reel seat on. It sat guide-less for years. By this time however I could at least afford books on the subject and I read anything that I could find on the subject. I sent away for catalogs from all the rod makers that I could find. Bamboo was still big but as I recall, in this time period, graphite was the end-all be-all of modern rod making material. I picked up the 'theory' of fly fishing but never had the opportunity to put it into practice.

In the early 90's, never having gotten the rod or reel wet, I sold the Hardy on ebay listing it as virtually new-in-box, but I did keep the rods.

Fast forward a few more years and now my son was becoming a teenager and expressing an interest in fly fishing (not sure where it came from but I did understand). At about the same time I made a friend who was also into fly fishing. It was a perfect storm for me to finally put it all together and get out to the water.

I finished building the Orvis rod over the winter, signed my son and I up for casting lessons in the spring, bought a beat up Hardy Prince to replace my old one and we're now in our second season of getting an occasional fish in our nets and having a great time.

I found my way to the forum trying to fill in some of the gaps and am appreciative of what I've learned here so far, it's been a great resource. At the same time I was surprised to learn that the fiberglass rods have 'come back' in style and amazed at some of the developments in reels (still happy though to have my old noisy one). I guess when the time comes for me to sell my stuff, I'll call it vintage.

Loving every minute of it even if the journey to this point has been a long and twisted one.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

spm will become famous soon enoughspm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Yet another 'new' old guy finding his way back

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I became interested in fly fishing as a kid in the mid 60's. Don't honestly recall what caught my interest as I came from a salt water flounder fishing family and fresh water fishing wasn't part of my world. Standing in the sporting goods section of the local Army/Navy store I spotted a fly rod and reel set-up and found it intriguing. I bought it on the spot, a St Croix 8' rod with a Pflueger 1494 1/2 reel with an extra spool. I loaded one with a 6 wt Cortland floating line and the other with a 6 wt sinking line.

Inasmuch as I was a kid and the internet didn't exist, I didn't have any idea what to do with my new tackle or the resources to find out, so my rod and reel ended up in a closet for years. By the mid 70's my interest was sparked again with the addition of a new brother-in-law into the family who knew a little about fresh water fishing. I ended up buying a new Fenwick 806 rod to experiment with using the same Pflueger reel. Well, turns out that my brother in law knew nothing about fly fishing so I ended up buying a Mitchell/Berkley spin rod/reel and off I went into the new world of lakes and ponds.

By the late 70's my interest in fly fishing was rekindled when I moved into Boston not very far from an Orvis dealer. There was something about the Orvis 7'9" Far and Fine graphite rod that caught my eye, most likely the small comfortable cigar shaped, fine tipped handle. (I say that because every time I look at a rod, the first thing I look at is the handle and if it's not tapered down at the rod end, I pass on picking it up...weird I know.) Not having the resources to buy the complete Orvis rod, I bought the blank and all of the necessary components to finish the rod. I bought a Hardy Prince to go along with the rod.

Like my previous attempts at learning the sport, this blank went only as far as my putting the reel seat on. It sat guide-less for years. By this time however I could at least afford books on the subject and I read anything that I could find on the subject. I sent away for catalogs from all the rod makers that I could find. Bamboo was still big but as I recall, in this time period, graphite was the end-all be-all of modern rod making material. I picked up the 'theory' of fly fishing but never had the opportunity to put it into practice.

In the early 90's, never having gotten the rod or reel wet, I sold the Hardy on ebay listing it as virtually new-in-box, but I did keep the rods.

Fast forward a few more years and now my son was becoming a teenager and expressing an interest in fly fishing (not sure where it came from but I did understand). At about the same time I made a friend who was also into fly fishing. It was a perfect storm for me to finally put it all together and get out to the water.

I finished building the Orvis rod over the winter, signed my son and I up for casting lessons in the spring, bought a beat up Hardy Prince to replace my old one and we're now in our second season of getting an occasional fish in our nets and having a great time.

I found my way to the forum trying to fill in some of the gaps and am appreciative of what I've learned here so far, it's been a great resource. At the same time I was surprised to learn that the fiberglass rods have 'come back' in style and amazed at some of the developments in reels (still happy though to have my old noisy one). I guess when the time comes for me to sell my stuff, I'll call it vintage.

Loving every minute of it even if the journey to this point has been a long and twisted one.
Good story, photoguy. Thanks for sharing.
And by-the-way, I can relate.

s.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Yet another 'new' old guy finding his way back

Add my warm welcome and a 'thumbs up' on a great read.

Fred
oldnewguy likes this.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great story, thanks for sharing and better yet you and your son are learning fly fishing together, doesn't get much better then that. Best of luck!
oldnewguy likes this.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to you and your son. I started in the early seventies but I did have some instruction and fished mostly small streams and a lake or two. I'm sure I dragged more worms thru the water than flies but I did catch fish.

I drifted away in the early 90's and got bit by the bug again last June and I'm learning now how to really fly fish. Caught my first on a dry last Aug.

This forum has been a great help with good info and some fun along with it.

Join in, post some pics and enjoy the ride with your son.

Tight lines,

Joe
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
From time to time we all seem to have put something aside for one reason or another.
It's good to see you are bringing your son into Fly Fishing as I find it's really good to see the numbers of young people Fly Fishing.
So keep getting on The Water & Casting to a few Fish because you can't catch them sitting on your Sofa.
Also keep your anger inside if your son catches Bigger & more Fish as The young Folks can Tie Flies on Better Walk around & Spot more Fish as their Legs & Eyes are better..
Cheers.
Brian
Old 06-14-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. It's been fun over the years and even more so now!

Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Welcome. Your journey is not that much unlike mine. Interest ebbing and flowing until recently. Now you have to pry my fly rod from my cold dead hands to put a spinning rod in them.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:01 PM

^ I'd venture a guess that there's many here with similar stories. It's the journey not the destination, I guess..
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great story! Welcome to the forum! Funny I came from a flounder fishing family and started fly fishing in the 60s as well. I also did the Pfluger and Fenwick thing and actually still use them at times today! It's the "old guy" thing!
photoguy likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser