The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By mootsfly
  • 1 Post By enolaeagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM

mootsfly will become famous soon enoughmootsfly will become famous soon enough
Default New guy from Maryland..

Hello everyone. Just thought Iíd introduce myself. My name is Al and I currently reside in Maryland. Iíve been fishing since Boy Scouts back in the day but just recently caught the fly fishing bug and Iím hooked for life. Seems like everyday Iím thinking about the fly-fishing life.

My family and I try to get out on the water as much as possible on our canoe Ė they love fishing on reel but Iím hoping to convert them to fly-fishing as well. We have several streams near my house that is stock with trout and I can just pedal my bike with gear in tow and fish.

This forum is full of knowledge and friendly folks. Iím happy to be part of this great forum.

BTW, I want to give a big plug to Jerry aka hairwing530. I bought two fly boxes from him and they are awesome. Great craftsmanship and the price is right!

Some pics.

Jerry's aka hairwing530 flies.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pics from recent canoe/fishing trip. Caught mostly sunfish and blue gills.

My first fish caught on a fly rod/reel! Thanks!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New guy from Maryland..

Welcome to the forum!
fredaevans likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

to the site & to fly fishing from a fellow Marylander! What part of the state are you in? I'm near Annapolis, in Arnold!

Wonderful pictures & the smiles on the kids faces tells the story!

I've fished all over the state, but those waters don't look familiar to me!

I also tie most of my own flies, but from the rave reviews Jerry has received from various members you can't go wrong with his flies!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your fishing adventures! Unfortunately, I don't get to fish as much as I once did!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 PM

daveinmd is on a distinguished road

Welcome! But then again I'm new too (just joined a few days ago). I live in Maryland too - Pasadena.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM

mootsfly will become famous soon enoughmootsfly will become famous soon enough

Thanks y'all!

Big Jim we normally canoe/fish at the Patuxent River...the photo was taken near the Brown Bridge put-in. It's a very scenic area with lots of fishing potential. Sorry to hear you don't get to fish much these days. Hopefully you will get your fishing groove back.

Daveinmd. I live in Silver Spring Let's meet up for some fly fishing jaunts in our neck of the wooods. I'm open to fishing at Catskills as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 AM

Sounds good. pm me anytime.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

My fishing groove is fine when I can go! It's my time that's an issue! I drive a tractor trailer & spend too much time out on the road! I would rather be fishing, but it doesn't pay the bills!

I'll change that in a few years I hope, when I retire!

OK, Montgomery Co.! I've fished extensively along the Pax, but more so on the sections downstream of Laurel than above. There is a section on the middle branch I like to fish, above Rocky Gorge Reservoir, one of the state's trout streams but you won't get a canoe in there! It's a wonderful river system if you have the time to explore it! Lots of variety & certainly beauty!

Dave, welcome to the site to you also! You're much closer to me! Most of the fishing I do (fly & other tackle) is on the tidal waters of the eastern shore, but there's some in our area too, just not trout!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Yay for someone from WV who likes to fly fish for trout - I'm in the wrong area. But I make do. I have a spring and fall camping trip with the guys back in the WV Monongahela National Forest that helps give me some time on trout streams.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum.I love your pics with the kids
Old 07-02-2014, 04:53 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum.......I'm new too.

My daughter lives in Columbia and I'm planning to wet a few flies next time we are down that way.

I just love the grins on your children's faces......looks to me that they are hooked too.

Tight lines,

Joe