The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM

wolfcry is on a distinguished road
Default I nearly caught a 30 pound rainbow...but, unfortunately I lost it!

Like you havent heard that one before huh?? Either way, I think I got your attention lol

Name's Dan, originally from Montana and absolutely love it there but now I'm currently living in the ever-so-gorgeous Banff AB (Canada) which is in the heart of the Canadian rockies and I must say...the fishing opportunity here is out of this world and the view just cant be beat

Its great to find a great North American fishing forum like this one and I'm very happy to be here! Nice meeting you all!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: I nearly caught a 30 pound rainbow...but, unfortunately I lost it!

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. Are you a beginner or been fly fishing for a while? I will be looking for some pictures of that great Canadian Rockies.

Frank
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

maybe it should have read---"i nearly caught a 30# rainbow...but unfortunately i woke up !"

well it got me to look---welcome to the site!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was smiling also till I read that you live in Canada....hey that 30lber can happen...I have seen that!
Welcome aboard and PICTURES!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 PM

wolfcry is on a distinguished road

Well, I have to admit that 30# story was a bit of a "whopper". I just said it to get your attentions lol.

But, some of the largest fish I've ever seen are here and that's definitely not a lie. My friend just pulled a 8.7 rainbow out of the Bow River couple of days ago. Totally wicked. I've never caught anything that size though but I am definitely gonna try to beat that...Purely for brag'n rights lol. My friend is Canadian and he's making fun of my "American" skills...so the battle is on! lol.

I just started fly fishing about 2 years ago but only really been dedicated to it for about the last past year. I was a die hard lure fisherman until I tried fly fishing because of the challenges it presented and because it looked way more fun to catch fish that way. I fell in love with it immediately and since then have started trying to tie my own flies though I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing lol.

I'd love to show you some pictures. I'll post some pictures if you want to see them. Though I'm blessed to be able to live in such a beautiful area, Montana will always have my heart
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Wolfcry, Montana has a spot in my heart also. Every year I do the Madison and Hebgen.
Here is one that was caught 15 minutes from Montana:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Y'all still under yards of snow?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dan,
Welcome to the forum!!

I plan on seeing the Banff area someday, I remember seeing the Park in the movie "Last of the Dogmen", and being in absolute aw of the beauty.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcry View Post
Well, I have to admit that 30# story was a bit of a "whopper". I just said it to get your attentions lol.

But, some of the largest fish I've ever seen are here and that's definitely not a lie. My friend just pulled a 8.7 rainbow out of the Bow River couple of days ago. Totally wicked. I've never caught anything that size though but I am definitely gonna try to beat that...Purely for brag'n rights lol. My friend is Canadian and he's making fun of my "American" skills...so the battle is on! lol.
Nice to have someone else here from Alberta even if you aren't a native Albertan. As far as 30lb rainbows, you have to go one more province east to find those in Lake Diefenbaker, Saskatchewan.
Click the image to open in full size.

Download a cool trailer on the Diefenbaker trout here.

Ya, the Bow River is said to have more trophy trout per mile than any other river in North America. Not sure how true that still is but there are some really big fish in it and lots of them for sure. Welcome to the board wolfcry.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 03-14-2008, 03:17 AM

mikefish08 is on a distinguished road

Sad to hear that..You see,one day,I went to fishing...Wanna know what happened?Nah...u never wanna know...I caught a 40 pound RAINBOW....