The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By scoutm
  • 1 Post By scoutm
  • 1 Post By weiliwen
  • 5 Post By scoutm
  • 2 Post By nevadanstig
  • 1 Post By scoutm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 12:58 PM

scoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the rough
Default Where I learned to fish...

Feeling a little home sick, which is normal this time of year with 100 degree days in Tucson getting really old, and thought if I shared a few pictures of where I learned to fish as it may make me feel a little closer to home.

Here are some pictures of Greasy/Rock creek on some property my family owns on the east side of the coastal range in Oregon just outside of Corvallis, OR.

The creek(s) have been part of a larger water shed restoration program that has removed some manmade barriers and bank Stablization/Plantings projects to address passage and water temp issues.

I've caught thousands of wild cutthroat from 3" to 15" in streams and have seen several steel head - I never fished for them as they were so few and I didn't want to injure them.

We own a small house on the banks and I hope to retire there. Hope you enjoy.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, Rip Tide and siege like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 PM

scoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where I learned to fish...

With all the rain the NW has been getting I asked my uncle to swing by our property and check out the house to make sure everything was ok. As you can see from the pictures above and the one below there's quite a difference. The creek crested two days after this photo was taken about 2' higher.

As part of the water shed restoration I mentioned in the previous post two new log piles were placed this past summer to create/improve spawning habitat. With this high flow I'm really excited to see how much gravel the log piles collected.

mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That is a sweet looking small stream, I can understand why you would want to retire there, congrats!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:14 PM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, between vineyards and marijuana farms, land in the Willamette Valley has gotten very pricey indeed.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
Yeah, between vineyards and marijuana farms, land in the Willamette Valley has gotten very pricey indeed.
Don't know much about vineyards and pot farms. The property has been in our family for 60+ years and will never be sold so price isn't really a concern for me. What is a concern is protecting and improving a place that is very special to me.
mcnerney, weiliwen, siege and 2 others like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 PM

nevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely beautiful property you have there. I will admit though, that post rain high water picture would have me a little nervous.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
mcnerney and scoutm like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
Absolutely beautiful property you have there. I will admit though, that post rain high water picture would have me a little nervous.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Yep it was cause for some concern. In 1964 there was one of the largest floods recorded in the area and the house flooded with 6" of water. In the summer of 1965 the house was raised two and half feet. 1996 was the next flood event equal to the 1964 flood and the water only made it to the patio with no damage to the house so unless there's a 1000 year type flood all should be good.
nevadanstig likes this.