The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New fly fisherman and member saying hi!

Thanks guys for the welcome!

Ryan, we sound alot alike haha. I fish, fly fish now, have some auto projects, collect firearms a bit, reload, want to start tying flys, and more haha. Don't hunt yet but I want too. Haven't been able to get out and do it yet. Only having one vehicle between my wife and I has kept me from being able to get out with someone to give it a go.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Learning to fly fish AND tie?

That's called jumping in with both feet....lol.

Welcome to the forum.....you'll get all the help you can handle right here.

Tight lines,

Joe
hairwing530, siege and ponycarman like this.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! I suppose it kinda is. I have been easing into it all. Haven't broke into the more complex side yet. I've been fishing maining for bream and the occasional bass in my local lakes. I figure tying some of my own stuff might save me a little bit of money with how the fly prices are around here. Also helps me learn more about the fish and what they like
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM

scgobbler is on a distinguished road

Well hello you ol' Sandlapper you! I'm just South of Charlotte, NC. Welcome! Lots of good tips around here. I have been researching panfish/bass and crappie patterns just because those are the closest fish I have around me. Check out YouTube for pattern videos. Lots of good easy patterns out there to start with!

Sent from the Gobblers Roost using Tapatalk
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Thanks gobbler! Thats exactly what I've been doing as well . I figured the same thing. Panfish, bass, and crappie are close and plentiful so I figured thats what I would start on. Then try some trout when I have gotten a bit better with the basics. So far so good
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponycarman View Post
I figure tying some of my own stuff might save me a little bit of money with how the fly prices are around here.
NOPE No money will be saved, I promise. But you will learn a lot about the fish and what/when/where they feed. And there's nothing like catching a fish on a fly you tied! The best feeling ever!

Welcome to the forum! We hope to see/hear a lot from you!
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...looking forward to seeing your reports and pics
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Thanks guys. I'll have to post some pics of the setup I have so far and the largest fish from my first trip. I'm hoping to order the vise today or tomorrow we will see. I am kinda a bargain hunter. I don't mind spending for a quality item that is high value. Would the atlas vise by anvil be a good starter? Been trying to do as much research as I can but I'm still new and really have no idea ha. I found where I can grab one new for about $125. I know everyone has their preference, Just curious if it would be decent to start out on.

Last edited by ponycarman; 07-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Joey Bagels will become famous soon enough

Check out the Danvise. You can generally scrounge one up for about $75 on eBay or Amazon. I've had one for about 4 years now and like it a lot. Incidentally, Gary Lafontaine used a Danvise and you can see that in some of his videos and his old newsletter.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Yes, welcome! And thanks for filling in your location. This is a good forum with a lot of nice folks participating.
ponycarman likes this.