The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New fly fisherman and member saying hi!

There are some great deals on Ebay for Renzetti, Regal and Dyna-King. Just be patient and look around. When the time comes, jump on it!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Here are some pics of my stuff so far.

Redington crosswater 5wt. Not a bad starter rig.

Click the image to open in full size.

Got a assortment pack of flys, some foam spiders, some poppers, and some woolly buggers so so far. Grabbed the fly box marked down from cabelas. Also have some 5lb tippet material, a set of nippers, and a set of the surgical pliers.

This is the biggest bream I caught on my first trip. It was bigger than my hand and I don't have tiny hands. He was very fun to catch. I'm sure he will taste good too. He is in the freezer

repperson29 likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 AM

amertens is on a distinguished road

Welcome and good start! I might throw in on the fly tying start with a cheap vise. There are plenty out there and several different styles and you can see what you like. I played with a lot and toyed with rotary and looked at a lot of big names and a buddy of mine gave me a cheap bass pro brand regal knock off. That's what I found I really really liked for my style and the flies I like to fish. So then I spent the 200+ dollars on a vise.

Just saying I love the enthusiasm but it took me years to find my real preferences in the fly fishing and tying world. Play and learn, wait for good deals. despite all the advertisements you don't need to spend a lot of money to start........

That will come later when you are buying top ramen because you need to make a hook order and that rod you played with the other day would keep the other 10 in your garage company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey ponycarman,

I'm going to throw in a shameless plug and ask you to wander over to the Classifieds section under "Flies and Fly Boxes," and take a look at the fly collections that I've been tying up over these past months for my "buds" here on the forum. Both the "Fly Box 90" and the "Streamers 2014" have been popular, though I've been tying/building a lot of "Memorial Boxes" lately.

I think you might be surprised at what you get for your money...

Just sayin'...

Tight lines always, ponycarman...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
repperson29 and ponycarman like this.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:22 AM

repperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to all

Can't recommend Jerry's boxes enough, you're essentially paying 50 cents a fly for superb craftsmanship from him and his "kids". I urge you to go over there and read Jerry's story about him and his kids as I couldn't do it justice. He'll get you started off right for sure and you're money goes towards a great cause.

Ryan
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:07 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys! I'll go take a look. Thanks for the tips and advice as well. I definitely need it . This hobby seems to be snowballing just like a few of my others haha.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Welcome to the forum, ponycarman. And congratulations--you've found the best flyfishing forum on the internet. Any question you could possibly have will be answered here, or at least intelligently discussed. You'll have a few laughs, too.

You look like you're well on your way. And tying your own flies and catching fish on them will only add to the experience.

Good luck and we'll see you in the threads.

Scott
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Welcome aboard ! Sounds like you have caught a bad case of the most enjoyable incurable disease you can get
Stick around, ask questions, participate, and enjoy. You are now part of the best forum on the web. Glad to have here !
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks fella's. I feel right at home. Lots of nice people around.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 AM

rick70 is on a distinguished road

Hi mate.

Not sure I qualify to welcome anyone just yet but welcome!!

I've been here for 5 minutes and I believe this to be the friendliest and most informative forum I have ever come across!!

Have fun man!!
ponycarman likes this.