New guy, SW Wyoming

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a native son of Wyoming new to the art of fly-fishing, sort of.

I grew up spending my childhood hiking and fishing the lakes and streams of the Wind River Mountains. I grew up fish spoiled, and never really learned how to fish correctly. No matter how poorly I cast or how clueless I was with my fly selection, the fish would bite.

Well, now I have a 3 year old son who has taken a big interest in being my fishing buddy, and I have a 2 month old son who will be there soon enough too. I'm starting from scratch and learning everything from square one so I can pass what I know on to those two knuckleheads.

After a stint in the military, I'm now living in SW Wyoming (Evanston.) I've enjoyed lurking around here, and have already learned a ton. I figured it was about time to pop in and say hi and thanks for the wisdom I've already got from you guys.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome. Lots of good people and knowledge in here. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been a member.

spm

oldnewguy

Reaction score
Welcome! :)

Sounds like you and your young boys are headed for years of great fun and memories.

Any time you can keep them outdoors and away from "technology" will be time spent in developing some fine young minds.

I salute you! :)

Tight lines,

Jpoe

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It is great to see your young son taking an interest in fishing, you'll have a fishing buddy for a long time to come!

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's been fun so far taking the little one out. He's getting the hang of being sneaky and staying out of the way, so it hasn't been bad. He hasn't had any luck with a rod in his hands yet, but he's getting there.

Mcnerney, I keep meaning to sneak off to your neck of the woods, but my work schedule hasn't allowed it. I pass through Seedskadee regularly for work, so I pack my rod for a little lunchtime fishing, but that's as far north as I've made it on the green. Your pictures give me the itch to find an excuse to get up there though.

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Add my welcome and confess to a bit of 'envy.' You live in one great bit of the United States.

Fred
Thanks Fred. I'm 3rd generation Wyomingite, so I don't think anybody will be dragging me away anytime soon. If I would be tempted to head somewhere else, it would probably be up your way. I've always liked that part of the country too.

duker

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ten_fiver. And congratulations for passing on that wisdom to your boys.

Scott

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ten_fiver. And congratulations for passing on that wisdom to your boys.

Scott
Thanks duker. I dont know if I can accept congratulations yet as I am just a Neanderthal with a fly rod, but someday I hope to have some wisdom to pass down.

radoak

Reaction score
Just signed up as a new member so here's my history. Been in Wyoming 41 years. My parents didn't move here, but, I got here as fast as I could. Been fishing the Bridger and Fitzpatrick wilderness, Pinedale, Green River, Flaming Gorge and Utah. Thought I had moved to Paradise. Member of the Seedskadee chapter of TU and the IFFF. Been Fly fishing and tying for 55 years.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Just signed up as a new member so here's my history. Been in Wyoming 41 years. My parents didn't move here, but, I got here as fast as I could. Been fishing the Bridger and Fitzpatrick wilderness, Pinedale, Green River, Flaming Gorge and Utah. Thought I had moved to Paradise. Member of the Seedskadee chapter of TU and the IFFF. Been Fly fishing and tying for 55 years.
Radoak: Great to have you on the forum and have another Wyoming fly fisher!