The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ranger56528

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 PM

ranger56528 is on a distinguished road
Default New guy from Minnesota.

Howdy names Jim and I'm 53 and live in lakes country,my wife and I are avid bass and musky fishers all catch and release anyway I just got hooked on fly fishing and have been snooping around here for a bit. I have a lot into bait fishing so I tried to maintain and buy what I thought would be good for panfish to Northern pike and maybe a small musky or two so this is my starting point.
Redington 7.5 2 piece 4wt.
Redington 9ft 2 piece 6wt.
Redington 9ft 2piece 8 wt.
Plus I bought Redington waders and rubber sole boots,chest Pack and net,also purchased fly assortments and leaders to go with each rod setup and basic tools. Felt soles would be nice but due to Zebra muscles in some lakes we can't wear felt sole wading boots.
Just wanted to say howdy and start learning as much as I can.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New guy from Minnesota.

As your getting into fly fishing 'Welcome to the Dark Side young Luke Skywalker.' Have several 'regular rods/gear' and really not much money invested in the stuff. Fly fishing ... a deep wallet is a good option.

Again, a warm welcome to a fine Internet Board. Ask away with any questions, and no one cares how basic they me be. We've all been there.

On occasion ... so am I.

Fred
Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Re: New guy from Minnesota.

Thanks. I'm also bad at using the search tool and when I find the right rod wt for around here I more than likely will open the wallet for a nicer rod and real and have the others for backup.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Jim to this great forum...tons of infos and nice people here
Are you sponsored by Redington?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry Jim. Trout fishing is something really rare here in Centeral Southern Oregon. But most of 'what works' can be directly transferable to Steelhead and Pacific Salmon.

And that's the 'key' .... tweaking what you do, by what you read. Amazing how a small change can add to 'Fish On!'

fae
Old 07-27-2014, 03:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New guy from Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger56528 View Post
Thanks. I'm also bad at using the search tool and when I find the right rod wt for around here I more than likely will open the wallet for a nicer rod and real and have the others for backup.
The search function here is a little bit tricky at times, so I'm now using Google instead. Type in what you're looking for and then just add "North American Fly Fishing Forum" to the end of it and I'd bet you'll find plenty. An example might be "Musky Fishing North American Fly Fishing Forum".

By the way, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:56 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger56528 View Post
Welcome to the forum and where you at in MN? I've fished the Marcell area (north of Grand Rapids) for 25 years worth of vacations.

You will want to spring for a good rod or two, but go slow with that. Put some time on the water and figure out what you actually need. It's pretty easy to dump a lot of cash on stuff that isn't quite what you really need.

You need to catch some pike on the fly. It's pretty easy most anywhere in MN to catch modest pike and trust me it's a blast on the fly. PM me if you don't have any good pike flies and I'll hook you up with a few. If I don't give a few away I won't have anything to do this winter when tying season starts.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Default New guy from Minnesota.

Thanks for the replies,I live on a 1200 acre lake that has a good stock of pan to pike in it and a few other breeds. We have over 1000 named lakes in our county more then any county in the United States so finding fish is not a issue just need to find out what likes what flies.
It's starting to look like the 9ft 8wt will be my main rod for the lakes around me and the 7-4wt will be the small creek and pan rod. I'm going to start out with some Clouser and Bugger flies for Bass and Pike and see how that goes, I bought a assortment of each and will refine my pike and bass flies from there.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

ia trouter I live in west central mn.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

My trips back to MN to fish usually call for at least an 8wt for pike and a 10wt for the muskies I chase on Sugar Lake. Bass can be had on a 6 or 7wt. The Fly Angler in Blaine is my go to fly shop when I go back. Great guys and great gear. Always willing to help. Welcome and enjoy the forum!