The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By lsuhunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 PM

lsuhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Colorado New Guy

Hello everyone, I have been browsing for awhile and finally feel like I can start trying to contribute. I have only been in CO(denver area) 2 years and the majority of my fly fishing has happened since moving here, but I have been fishing in Louisiana since I have been old enough to hold a rod.

I mostly fish the south platte near deckers bc I can be on the river from my driveway in 45 mins. I have had a great year so far with fish ranging from 16-24 inches. I would like to start exploring other waters for new species a bit more and to get away from the crowds but the big fish and proximity to my house keep drawing me back.

I've started trying to learn the entomology better and also hve gotten into tying, but I have a long way to go.

Cyall on the river!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado New Guy

Welcome! Some fun waters to fish, especially if you can get away during the week Look forward to your contributions and pictures.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Might as well toss in a first name and I'll feel like I know ya,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Welcome! Some fun waters to fish, especially if you can get away during the week Look forward to your contributions and pictures.
As do I!

Never had the chance, or took the drive, to Colorado save for business trips. Dummie didn't have the brains to take a rod and a few days vacation. When you get to the point where you have five weeks and it was a push to take just one ......

Priorities sucked?

fae
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Living that close to Deckers would make it difficult to fish for anything other than trout so I certainly understand. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Hah well my name is Chris. Thanks for the welcome. In Colorado I always grab my Allen alpha II reel on a 9' 5wt sage vxp rod. The rod is perfect for the fish on the platte and the drag on the reel is excellent for larger trout.

When I head back home to Louisiana, I always bring my Alpha III which is on a 9' 8wt TFO Axium and more suitable for bass, redfish, speckle trout. I was fortunate enough to catch my first bonefish in the carribean in May on it and again I can't say enough about the drag on Allen reels.

I want to try and get up to RMHP while the weather is still warm since Ibjavent had the chance to fish for anything but rainbows and browns but I need to figure out a hike that the wife will enjoy so I can fish. I will post some photos once I figure out how. Thanks again for having me.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM

A few photos from this summer.

Turks and Caicos Bonefishing, a must go place for big bones that have never seen a fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

A few S. Platte lunkers:

Enjoy!
williamhj likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:53 PM

bcorn is on a distinguished road

isuhunter - what camera for your underwater shots???
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Apparently I need to head your way, they don't grow them like that up North here. I just avoid Cheesman/Deckers since I am a weekend warrior.

Sounds like time to take a Wednesday off