The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: New Member from the St. Louis Area

You know, we never had that STL meet and greet that we were talking about in Jan.....
mridenour likes this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 08-12-2014, 07:49 AM
mridenour

Yeah, what happened?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Derailed it seems. Work, kids, life in general....lol.

Should we give this another go? The South County Hooters has an old antique fishing rod on the wall, we could meet up there and admire the decor while enjoying a couple beers.
stl_geoff and mridenour like this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM
mridenour

Yeah, let's give it a shot!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:06 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Welcome, but there are no fish in Missouri
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof10 View Post
Hi all. I'm Steve from Lake St. Louis, MO. Due to my 23 year old son asking for a fly rod recently, my interest in fly fishing has returned.

I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s in Mississippi fishing mainly for crappie and catfish. My Dad had a fly rod that fascinated me. I picked it up and started using it. Using mainly the Lee Wulff stories in Sports Afield magazine, I learned to effectively cast. Living near a golf course, I spent a lot of time pestering the small bass, bluegill, and sunfish in the ponds on that golf course.

I'm now 55. My 22 year old son is a huge outdoorsman. We deer hunt together and he fishes - a lot. This summer he asked for a fly rod for his birthday so I got him one. It also has peeked my interest in fly fishing again. I rather enjoy the challenge of doing things the unconventional way such as using fountain pens and deer hunting the old fashion with black power rifles (loose powder and round balls).

I am researching fly rod outfits right now and the best weight outfit to get. I mainly will use it on warm water fish but I guarantee that at some point I will be going after trout in the some of the excellent trout streams we have in Missouri.

I also have property with a nice creek that I would like to fish for sunfish and small bass.

At this point, I'm thinking of either a 5 or 6 weight outfit. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

Thanks and looking forward to learning.

Dadof10
Welcome to the forum! I live in Foristell as we recently moved from Wentzville. It sounds like you have been given a lot of good advice already! It also looks like a lot of the frequent contributors, in our area, have also chimed in to welcome you as well. Good luck with the fishing! My son and I just go back from the Current River. I will make a post later in the week. Always a great time to spend with your son.
mridenour likes this.