The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ptarmigan
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 03:53 AM

ptarmigan is on a distinguished road
Default New member from the 49th state

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this site. Lots of great info on here. I live up in Anchorage, moved here from Maine with my wife. It was supposed to be for only two years, that was ten years and two kids ago. Moved up here because I love to fish and really can't see moving back. I grew up in Eastern Maine, learned to flyfish when I was eight and considered Grand Lake Stream to be my home waters. Just starting to get into spey fishing and have lots to learn. Looking forward to learning some stuff here and hope to be of any help if I can. Might even try to brave the mighty Yetna in my jet boat this summer and swing some flies with Ard!

Matt
mcnerney, caseywise and ia_trouter like this.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New member from the 49th state

Welcome to the forum Matt. The two hander forums here are beginning to pickup a little lately. Hope you participate.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 AM

spm will become famous soon enoughspm will become famous soon enough

Welcome from Missouri. Lots of good people here willing to help.

steve. aka, spm
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Matt: Welcome to the forum! Those rivers up there can be dangerous, I'd recommend getting some tips from Ard before you set out on your own, he has been running those rivers for years.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Matt, welcome to the forum from a former alaskan.
I grew up in homer but moved to the lower 48 about 15 years ago. still go up every summer to see the fam and of course fish.
Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your fishing related endevours.
P.S.- stay away from ard, he's a grumpy old sob

Casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum
Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Matt,

I went fishing back when I had mentioned it to you, that was right about time you were getting that rig at Mossys. Ice was a problem and the fish were not exactally fighting over the flies. I took a bunch of rods and lines along and spent most of the day changing rigs and looking for correct matches. I knew what I was going to do before I ever left home so I wasn't disappointed with the time spent.

Since then and after having figured a few things out I just picked up a new custom line yesterday at the Post Office and will be watching the weather for another 32 - 35 degree day so I can go play with this set to see if we got it right. With the recent snows I may be leaving for our cabin for a while but if we get another warm front I'll be ready to go casting again. You can always drop a PM here to contact if you want.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Matt,

This forum is full of great people and even better insight & knowledge. I too moved out west (not as far West as you.. New England to Idaho), thinking it would be for 1-2 years, that was 18 years ago. The time has flown by without any regrets. Looking forward to seeing postís from you in near future.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 12-04-2014, 03:41 PM

ptarmigan is on a distinguished road

That sounds good Ard. Glad you got out for a bit anyways. I'm still waiting on my reel that Mike ordered to come in. When it does, as long as the weather cooperates, I think I will head down to the Upper river and swing some flies. Would love to run down the middle but I will spend more time messing with my boat and driving than fishing now that we are down to about six hours of daylight. BTW, how are you getting up to your cabin? Sounds like some guys got wet running the Su a few days ago.