The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By citationsquirrel
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 02:46 PM

citationsquirrel is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings From Anoka, MN

Hello Everyone!

I am a fly fishing newbie. I was looking for a good outdoor activity for me and my 11 y.o. son. I was thinking about fishing (we haven't done much spin cast fishing either) and then for some reason I got the idea to try fly fishing. Maybe because of both the fishing and the fly tying aspects. So, we just purchased our first rod (if he likes it, I'll buy him one of his own), which should arrive shortly. Then we get to learn to cast together. I'm really looking forward to it. Anyway, I've found forums like these to be helpful in other areas, so I joined up and hope to be a regular here before long. Just forgive the ignorant questions for a while.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings From Anoka, MN

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!
Learning together with your son will be loads of fun, enjoy. Don't worry about asking dumb questions we all started in the same place you are in. Spend some time browsing on the forum and using the search function. Note that when you click on the search function there is an "Advanced Search", click on that and they you have the option of searching for a word or words in a post or thread title or posts by a member, it is pretty powerful once you figure out how to use it.

Edit: Please update your profile so that it will show on the far right where you are located, you will get much better information to your questions when members have an idea of what part of the country you are in. To update the profile, look in the blue horizontal ribbon at the top, in the far left click on "UserCP", in the drop down menu click on "Edit Your Details", then fill in "Where You Live".

Old 04-06-2015, 04:53 PM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enoughunknownflyman will become famous soon enough

Welcome fellow Minnesotan, lots of great cold and warm water fly fishing fairly close to home. I think that you will find the members here really want to help fellow fishermen. They have taught me a ton of stuff and are very patient.

I came here to learn and share what I know and what do you know even found some friends.

I've never regretted the pursuit of fly fishing but I have almost busted my fly rods and threw them into lake superior in frustration.

Asking questions and reading help very much not to get to that point.

Happy adventures!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 PM

scotty macfly has a spectacular aura aboutscotty macfly has a spectacular aura aboutscotty macfly has a spectacular aura about

Hello and welcome to you as well. This must be the week for folks from MN to sign in. Glad to have you with us. Good times sharing and learning this fantastic sport with your son, goooood times!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
This must be the week for folks from MN to sign in.
You know what they say .... "In Spring, a Minnesotan's fancy turns to thoughts of fishing."
Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 AM

zug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of light

Good Luck with your son, remember fly fishing isnt for everybody neither of my 2 grown sons care for it
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 04-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
Good Luck with your son, remember fly fishing isnt for everybody neither of my 2 grown sons care for it
That is why I'm only buying one fly rod now. If he does pick up an interest, I'll buy him his own.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...looking forward to seeing some pics with your son
Old 04-07-2015, 03:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Another long look back.

The real 'reward' of fly fishing is sitting next to your Kidlett(s), open Fly box: "What do you think will work?''

Tent's 0300, small hands pushing you awake. I'M HUNGRY! Crank off the Coleman Lantern's, stove. Me? FEED: the 'Young Urchins.' BACK TO YOUR TENT YOU TWO! Ruffle-skuffle, two more sleeping bags dragged into my/wife 1.0's tent.

fae
citationsquirrel likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-08-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

And, bless you for doing stuff with your son. My dad and i didn't, and we both regret it.

CAB