The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello from the Mother Lode country (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/3716-hello-mother-lode-country.html)

Rankamtr 03-30-2008 04:58 PM

Hello from the Mother Lode country

As you can see by my log-in I am new to this sport. Using a fly rod I beat the water to a froth as a kid from time to time then discovered spin fishing. Being raised in and around Yosemite Nat'l Park we had a lot of good waters for several kinds of trout. The family would have been horrified if we had turned any of them loose however. (7 people under one roof during and right after the second world war) After leaving home I gravitated toward the oceans and spent 22yrs. as a delivery skipper moving other people's sailing craft world-wide, often filling in the time between jobs working as first a mate and later Captain on sport fishing vessels of many types in locations throughout the world. I'm now 65 and retired. Recently got in touch with an old friend who has a sailing charter business in Madagascar and I expect a 3-6 month trip to that island nation to commence sometime in the next 3-6 months. Studing the maps and charts it looks as if there may be the right bottom and other conditions for a new bonefish area to be explored. So, I have decided to take up fly fishing and to learn all I can about it and the Silver Bullets before I go. There is a cyclone season going on now and my time is my own so I can take my time.
Found a sporting goods outfit going out of biz the other day and scored two Cortland 200 D Magnum reels for $60.00 each and extra spools for each for $15.00 apiece, now searching for good deals on rods to take with me. Any tips or info R.E. learning or anything else you think may be helpful will be appreciated.
(I know, Practice, Practice, Practice !!)

BigCliff 03-30-2008 11:36 PM

Re: Hello from the Mother Lode country

Welcome to the sport! Glad to have ya on the board too!

fyshstykr 03-31-2008 12:05 AM

Ahoy Max,(sorry I couldn't help it).:)

You certainly sound as if salt runs thrue your veins, and have had many exciting adventures.
Look forward to reading some of your stories, good luck in your new endevors Sir.

Rankamtr 03-31-2008 11:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to learning a lot. You guys are already playing hell with my sleep patterns. I been staying up late reading the general discussion board. By the way, my friends call me Dutch, Max is the guy that I was quoting. See ya' on the discussion board, I'll be the one asking all the stupid questions.

Rankamtr 03-31-2008 11:23 PM

What I said to fyshstyker goes for you too, Thanks for what you do here. I really am impressed with the site.

Rankamtr 03-31-2008 11:26 PM

Sorry Cliff, that was to you. I'm kinda a dumbass sometimes when it comes to these goggle- boxes

fyshstykr 03-31-2008 11:41 PM

Hahahaha, he said "Dumbass"!!!(in my best Beavis or Butthead voice).:tongue:

layla17 04-08-2008 02:14 PM

Nice to meet you Max!

Rankamtr 04-13-2008 10:53 PM

Hi Layla, (Pretty name, made famous by ol' slow hand) My name is Dutch, Max is the guy I was quoting. Welcome to you. Sorry this was late I was over the hill in Reno for the past few days. See you in genl' discussions.