The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM

nc_whiskyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from North Carolina!

Greetings from North Carolina! New guy happy to be here! I have been fishing all my life but only began fly fishing about a year ago and I'll never look back. I live in eastern North Carolina and fish all over the region from the mountains to the sea, here and In Virginia. I am fortunate enough to be 4 hours to excellent trout fisheries and less than two hours to world class saltwater surf and flats. I fish my local ponds daily for panfish, bass and crappie. I have recently started my fly tying journey and have a lot to learn about that subject as well. Looking forward to meeting new friends, being a part of and learning as much as possible from this community. Hope to have lots of chats with you all!

Tight lines!
Joe.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Location: Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)
k_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello from North Carolina!

Welcome Joe.

Enjoy your time here. It is an awesome place.
hairwing530 and nc_whiskyfish like this.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 AM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum, Joe. Lots of good people and information, here.

steve
Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome! Coastal North Carolina is intriguing to me. How do most people fly fish there? Are boats, wading, kayaks or skiffs all used or does one or the other tend to dominate? Seems like looking at maps there are plenty of shallow bays, marsh and sounds that offer some good sight casting and structure fishing. Is that your experience? I know the surf has a reputation for big bull reds. Are they reachable with fly gear from shore? I've seen photos of some nice spotted sea trout come out of the surf and I believe stripers, a.k.a rockfish are to be found at times too.

Coastal North Carolina is a place I could see myself living in or nearby. Maybe one day I'll actually visit!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:00 PM

nc_whiskyfish is on a distinguished road

Hey Karstopo! Coastal NC has many fishing opportunities in the salt. Surf casting, shallow drafting boats, and deep sea boats are the most popular methods.not too much wading that I have seen.
My experience has been mostly surf casting but I am hoping to get more into fishing the back water flats of the Pamlico sound for reds and sea trout. if you have a boat you increase your fishing days dramatically but the surf is fun on the fly as well. throwing a Clouser for Pompano and Blue fish is a lot of fun, not to mention the reds! also, we're only about 3 hours from the outer banks which is awesome. what I like best is that I live close to all that and am just a few hours to amazing trout fisheries in several directions.
hairwing530 and karstopo like this.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

Welcome nc_whiskyfish. It sounds like you may have the best of both worlds of fishing near you, so you leave me wanting to hear about your outings, especially the trout.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joe

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you live in a great location for both fresh water and salt water fishing, I'm looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:53 PM

cab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud of

CAB
Old 01-07-2017, 01:58 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Welcome Joe! I'm further south, in the middle of SC. I live so close to Lake Marion I can see it from my front porch!

I'm also only about an hour from Charleston, so close enough to the coast it's always a viable option!

You should fit right in here!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:57 PM

kentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum,Joe.
hairwing530 likes this.