The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 6 Post By bluechipfish
  • 1 Post By nevadanstig
  • 1 Post By kentuckysteve
  • 1 Post By spm
  • 2 Post By stenacron
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By bluechipfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 PM

bluechipfish is on a distinguished road
Default Trout addict in FL!

Hey all. I registered here because this forum has been awesome to lurk and learn, and I figured it's time to contribute. I'm a "millennial" thats fully addicted to trout.

A quick backstory to my trout love, if you so please.

I'm a third generation fisherman, and grew up doing offshore stuff here and in the Bahamas with my dad. My dad had never taken interest in fly stuff. I told my dad I wanted to learn how to throw a fly rod when I was very young, maybe 10, and I was on my way. I had a rod, and I was casting in the yard hours a day. Throughout the years I had been able to go off by myself in the islands and learn how to stalk bones and to that whole thing, even found myself some tarpon in some creeks in Andros. The recession came and we no longer had the opportunity to go, so during the summer in between school I worked on big sport fishing boats which brought me even further down the island chain. We'd marlin fish when the owners were in, and on my days off I'd get full use of the dingy to go search uncharted flats and creeks. I enjoyed every bit of it, the hunt is addictive.

Fast forward, I had the opportunity to expand my business to the roaring fork valley in Colorado. What a beautiful place. I had only been there twice before committing to a stint there for June, July, and August of 2016. I got to Colorado and quickly started figuring out what rod I need. My bonefish rod was long gone, hard times had forced a sale many moons prior. It would have been overkill anyway, so I figured I'd get a really basic setup and ease into it again. I had NEVER trout fished, or even really thought about it. I just wanted to ensure time on the water, I had a flexible schedule and time to learn. $56 on Amazon later, and I had a 4 weight setup on the way. I also had my dad's neoprene duck hunting waders in the mail. I was "set up"!

I spent time (and $!) at a local shop, got to know a guy there, and got some advice. It was runoff period and the only thing fishing super well was the Frying Pan, and that intimidated me... I just needed to go throw a fly and get acquainted again. Went up to the Maroon Bells a few times and had an awesome time, observing fish, throwing dries to risers, and enjoying the scenery.

I carried on to the moving water after runoff and for the first time in a long time, I knew nothing about fishing! What an exciting feeling. I had no clue how to read the water. I read some trout books, and researched here and other places on the web, and started getting hits. I started fishing with a mutual friend from back home out there who's a bigger fishing nut than I am, and it was off to the races. I got to fish two weeks straight (maybe less, who's counting) of the Green Drake hatch every night until dark. Oh, I forgot to mention my girlfriend was in Florida during this time. No girl=many trout.

I'm back in Florida now, planning a summer back in Colorado. I'm heading back in February for the month and will attempt to do some fishing, maybe hit the 'ole Pan! Anyway, I'm appreciative for this community and the time you guys have dedicated to putting a vast amount of knowledge in stone.

Now, back to catching goggle eyes. Sailfish season is in full swing!!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:03 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trout addict in FL!

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place to be.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM

kentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud ofkentuckysteve has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum.Great intro.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:32 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Welcome to he forum, bluechipfish. Great introduction! Looking forward to reading about your fishing experiences.

steve
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:44 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to NAFFF BlueChip! If looking for some good study material while you're wintering in FL, I would recommend Pat Dorsey's book - Fly Fishing Tailwaters:

Click the image to open in full size.

Since moving out west myself back in 2010 this book has been incredibly valuable to me.

Tight lines!
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 01-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Welcome to NAFFF BlueChip! If looking for some good study material while you're wintering in FL, I would recommend Pat Dorsey's book - Fly Fishing Tailwaters:

Click the image to open in full size.

Since moving out west myself back in 2010 this book has been incredibly valuable to me.

Tight lines!
Welcome to the forum!
+1 for getting a copy of Pat Dorsey's book!
hairwing530 and stenacron like this.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:58 AM

bluechipfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the book recommendations! Sitting down tonight with it.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 AM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

+2 on Pat Dorsey's book. It's well written, informative and a great read. You should be able to glean a fair amount of good information from it.

And, welcome to the forum as well. Going from the sunny climes of Florida to February in Colorado has got to be some kind of climate shock, and certainly not for the faint of heart. Still, should you choose to embrace the cold, tighten a line for me when you can, as northern Michigan rivers aren't renowned for their "hospitality" at this time of year...

Jerry, aka hairwing530