The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By josephz
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 AM

josephz is on a distinguished road
Default Novice in Metro West Boston

Hello All,

I've picked up this brand new hobby and I think it's going to stick. I'm from Natick, MA, a stone's throw from Lake Cochituate, where Teddy ball game first tried fly fishing.

So far I've read LL Bean's Fly-Fishing Handbook, by Dave Whitlock, cover to cover and signed up for a fly casting lesson from LL Bean in Wakefield. Despite my best efforts, I could not wait until after the class to purchase some gear, and went out and picked up Cabela's Prestige Collection Fly Outfit, in a 9' 5wt.

I walked over to Lake Cochituate and practiced casting. It went better than I thought; I did not fall in, despite the snow, and I only hooked the back of my jacket once.

I'm 42, father of 2. I plan on getting out and camping and fishing this year.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novice in Metro West Boston

Joseph

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!
You will find a ton of fly fishing information on this site, so spend some time browsing and using the "Search" function, but don't hesitate to ask questions, we were all beginners at one time. Note: When you click on search, in the pop up window, click on "Advanced Search", you will find you get much better results by using the advanced search function.
fredaevans and josephz like this.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Welcome to a great sport! I'm a loyal patron of LL Bean myself, but they have been scaling back the fly fishing departments in their satellite stores pretty dramatically in recent years. In addition to LL Bean, you may also want to check out Natick Outdoors in Natick, Concord Outfitters in Concord, Orvis in Dedham (right across the parking lot form LL Bean's Dedham store), Evening Sun in Pepperell, Bear's Den in Taunton, and Fin & Feather in Essex. Orvis in particular offers free "Fly Fishing 101" (learn some of the basics in an in-store seminar) and "Fly Fishing 201" (get out on the water with an instructor for an afternoon) classes.
dharkin likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh .,,, first rod/reel .... tip of a very big iceburg!

Welcome to the best Forum on the Net! As noted above there are NO SILLY questions; just un-answered one's ... fire away.

Fred
josephz likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 AM

josephz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Welcome to a great sport! I'm a loyal patron of LL Bean myself, but they have been scaling back the fly fishing departments in their satellite stores pretty dramatically in recent years. In addition to LL Bean, you may also want to check out Natick Outdoors in Natick, Concord Outfitters in Concord, Orvis in Dedham (right across the parking lot form LL Bean's Dedham store), Evening Sun in Pepperell, Bear's Den in Taunton, and Fin & Feather in Essex. Orvis in particular offers free "Fly Fishing 101" (learn some of the basics in an in-store seminar) and "Fly Fishing 201" (get out on the water with an instructor for an afternoon) classes.
Will do, thanks. The Natick Outdoor Store is high on my to visit list.