The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By michael.duncan11
  • 1 Post By michael.duncan11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 PM

michael.duncan11 is on a distinguished road
Default Learning to fly fish

New to the forum and am on a journey learning to fly fish on my own. Thought I'd join the forum to ask questions and learn.

Caught my first cutthroat trout wade fishing on the Bitterroot up here in Montana. Took a wooly bugger. Still trying to get my first fish on a dry fly but can't seem to set the hook. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by michael.duncan11; 04-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to fly fish

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first trout!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM

avodrake is on a distinguished road

Congrats!

When fishing dries for cutthroats a very common problem is setting the hook too soon. Counting one- one thousand, two one-thousand when that cut opens its mouth to your fly before setting your hook will increase your success. Google "waiting to set the hook cutthroat" will bring up a number of articles on this subject.

Just note even very experienced fisherman will get excited and set the hook too soon on big cutthroats. When you see a grown man with on only a 2 inch vertical leap, jump 2 feet out of the water and yell his favorite expletive you can almost be assured he has done this. Yes I plead guilty to doing this
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first trout on a fly. Don't be shy about asking questions. Everyone was a beginner at some time.

steve
Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM

michael.duncan11 is on a distinguished road

I have lots of questions. Is this the right place to post them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
nevadanstig likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.duncan11 View Post
I have lots of questions. Is this the right place to post them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You can post them here, or find a general section that fits with a topic. We'll do our best either way!

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 PM

larrylongrodd is on a distinguished road

Welcome and nice catch mate!