The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM

rooks is on a distinguished road
Default Newcomer all the way from South Africa

Not many people will believe that here in this hot sunny African country we have some of the greatest fly fishing in the world ... trout occur in the higher regions of the country, having been first introduced around 1885. Stillwater fishing and stream fishing is available. Saltwater flyfishing has really gained momentum here.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Newcomer all the way from South Africa

Welcome South Africa!! Jump right in and share the fishing. Only fly fishing in Africa I've heard of was for Tiger fish. Saw it on a Saturday morning ESPN episode years ago. Can't remember the location.
Post some pics to show us what we are missing!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rooks,

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing about fly fishing in Africa. Where does you gear come from? Do you have fly shops there?

Frank
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

rooks,

Welcome to the boards. I hear South Africa is a pretty cool place, but no one ever mentioned there was fly fishing there. A couple guys I know went on missions to Johanesburg. There are a couple girls that I know from South Africa (killer accents by the way). Anyway, hows the fishing?

Randy
Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! We're glad to have ya.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 AM

rooks is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments... the main areas for flyfishing here are in the higher altitudes along the eastern half of the country in the long stretch of what are called The Drakensberg Mountains. There are also prime trout streams with wild trout in the western cape region ... within an hour's drive from Cape Town.
About 2 and a quarter hours drive east from Johannesburg is one of the prime locations known for its excellent still water fishing ... this is the small town of Dullstroom which is some 6000 ft above sea level and about 2 hours from the famous Kruger National Park (see » The Kruger National Park South Africa, Wildlife Game Reserve. For the Big 5 & More. if you're interested in more than fishing) .Almost all US and UK brands of tackle sold throughout the country.
Two high quality fly fishing magazines also produced here.
South Africa has a vibrant fly tying industry ... flies exported wordwide. World class salt and freshwater reels made here too. We even have bamboo rod makers ... hand made to order only though (not me).
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Rooks;

Wow!! sounds like you have a great deal of fly fishing territory to explore there. Where I live and fish in Jackson Hole Wyoming it is just over 6000' above sea level. Lots of great trout at this elevation.

Share some photos so we can see the fabulous scenery that goes with your great fishing.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Rooks, looking forward to your post.
I had no idea you have this much variety in the area for fishing, sounds wonderful.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

rooks,
Just picked up The Fly Fishing Edition of Gray's Sporting Journal April 2008 issue and there is a great photo article called Hidden Jewels by Denver Bryan and Billy D Jong. They fished with Dr. Tom Sutcliffe, Africa's best known angling writer. Interesting coutry Africa. The photos from the link makes you think you are in the Southwestern US.

Check the following links:

Fly Fishing in South Africa

Gray's Sporting Journal - Features

Gray's Sporting Journal - Hidden Jewels

Thanks for joining us and I look forward to hearing about your fly fishing adventures in the African bush.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Piscator,
That's some great reading and neat pics. Rooks certainly has some beautiful country to fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*