The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Hello from SE Wyoming

Hey Larry

You get that boat wet this weekend? When I got my boat it was hard not put it in the water every chance I got.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo

No, I didn't. Snowed here Friday and I had about a foot of snow in the driveway. Warmed up some on Saturday but I had to go to Cheyenne to pick up my wife's bike (2005 H-D Softail Custom) that was in for service. Pretty cold coming back over the summit! Sunday she wanted to do some riding and it was the warmest day so far this spring. Next weekend is not looking good either (Mothers Day) and my daughter in-law's birthday is Tuesday so we promised to babysit so they good go out to dinnner Saturday evening. It's forecast to be good wx all week so my plan is to take Friday off and go fishing at the Grey Reef. If the wind lays down this week I will take the boat out on one of the local lakes after work. The Colorado F&G has predicted that the ice would be melted off the lakes over by Walden, CO so I might just sneak over there in the morning on Saturday.

Larry
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Larry

Your a busy man. Know the situation well!! LOL. Hope your ice leaves quick and you make it to the river as well. I expect the run off to hit here any day so I think my first fishing of the season will be down in the Florida Keys. Leave on the 22nd for a week of flats fishing with my Dad. He has been sending daily reports on weather and fishing, looking like good conditions this year.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo

Wow, sounds like a good trip you have planned for the keys. Back in the 70's I spent some time down there when I was in the Air Force, I pulled alert at Homestead AFB, at the time I flew the F-106 aircraft. Love that part of Florida. Back then I didn't do to much fishing, we primarily snorkeled, but did do some fishing but it was mostly in the local area around the base, not in the keys.

Warmed up real good here yesterday, maybe spring is finally here. When you live at 7,200 ft it seems like summer will never get here, especially after the winter we had this year. Looks like the wind will be down today so I plan to take the boat out after work.

Larry
Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Larry

That,s wild you used to kick around that area of Florida. Amazing how small the world is. I'm lookin forward to the trip. I go down twice a year, once in the spring and then again for Thanksgiving.

Pretty warm here too yesterday, sure the river is blown out or darn close. Have to run out there and see. At about 6500 ft most the snow is gone here but it is still holding up higher. We should have a great water year as far as consistent levels go. Less they play with the water level after run off the better the fishing.

Keep up the work outs with the boat. you'll have it mastered in no time!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Davo

With all the snow the rockies recieved this year the run off should be quite a site! I'm pretty fortunate to have Grey Reef within a reasonable driving distance. Headed up there on Friday to do some fishing and practice rowing between public access points. Haven't been out after work this week yet, the wind has been picking up pretty good in the afternoons.

Been playing around with Google Earth (recommended by fysh) looking at the rivers I want to float, once I have more experience rowing. Its pretty interesting to see a zoomed-in birds eye view of a river. So far I have looked at the North Platte, the Green River (below Flaming Gorge) and the South Fork of the Snake. The canyon section of the South Fork looks awesome!

Broke my 9ft 5wt Orvis rod the other day while out on the lake practicing rowing in the wind. Found a replacement 4 piece, 9ft 5wt Orvis TLS rod on ebay for $142. I can't wait to try the new (used) rod out on the water Friday.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM

mcnerney

Your new rod show up yet? I got a T3 6wt mid flex as a replacement for an old HLS 6wt that broke the end of last season. Orvis just replaced it the 7wt that broke they decided to fix since they don't have a 7wt in the freshwater version. I'm anxious to get out and give a test.

Had the boat out yet? The Snake is right on the edge of fishable right now. Has about a foot of visibility so you could work nymphs and streamers. Won't take but one warm day to blow it out though.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Davo

Sounds like a great new rod you have. Yes, I have the new (used) Orvis 9 ft TLS 5wt I bought off EBay. The rod looks like new. I ordered a new handle and rod seat from mudhole and have epoxied that to the old rod, so I guess I know have turned my old Orvis 5wt into a 4wt. I didn't send it back to Orvis because I'm pretty sure it was an Orvis blank and Orvis rod parts that I had put together back in the early 80's..........really hurt to have broke that rod! Lots of great memories together.

We have been getting hit with snow storms here lately so I haven't been out. I tried to go out on Saturday, was headed over to the North Platte near Saratoga (Treasure Island public access) but as I headed up over the snowies I ran into light snow and as I got over to the other side it turned into a ground blizzard so I had to turn back. I think I might have made it over but I had a commitment back in town at 3:30 pm and it was snowing so hard I wasn't sure I could get back. Then Sunday was tied up with Mothers Day duties.
Looks like this weekend will finally be good wx so I'm planning on taking the boat up to the Grey Reef for some fishing and rowing practice. My son wanted me to take the boat over to Glenwood Springs this weekend and drift the Colorado but it looks to be into runoff, the water isn't terribly high but its real muddy.

Larry
Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 AM

This spring is crazy weather wise. Good luck this weekend!!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 AM

DANIEL J. is on a distinguished road

I really wish I could go out this weekend, but Saturday I'm picking up a new camper. The following weekend I have to go down to Lusk and help the grandparents brand the cattle. Which should be interesting for a first time city boy. But the last weekend of the month I should be able to get out. I envy you, looks like it will be a great weekend for fishing. Last weekend my boss and I went to Green Mountain to scout out elk hunting areas and wanted to do some fishing but there was 8" of fresh snow. At least we saw about twenty elk.