The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello from SE Wyoming (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/3989-hello-se-wyoming.html)

mcnerney 04-22-2008 03:01 PM

Hello from SE Wyoming

I stumbled into this site and it looks like a good source for fly fishing info. and some good folks. I live in Laramie, WY and look to fish on the North Platte near Saratoga, WY and the Grey Reef near Casper with my new boat.
Last week I bought a used Hog Island Drift boat so now I'm trying to learn the basic strokes on the local lakes, then maybe take it up to the Grey Reef.
Anyone in the area that would like to drift fish those streams let me know.

BigCliff 04-22-2008 07:34 PM

Re: Hello from SE Wyoming

Welcome to the group! Have fun with the boat, I've heard lots of good things about the Hog Island offerings.

Joni 04-22-2008 09:14 PM

Welcome to the group Neighbor.

Davo 04-22-2008 11:27 PM

Welcome to the group. Enjoy the new boat. Seen a few on the water here in Jackson Hole. Word is they are more bullet proof than my old Lavro and a lot lighter. Sure it will serve you well

mcnerney 04-23-2008 08:54 AM

Thanks all for the kind words. Looking forward to getting my new boat out on the local rivers, just been waiting for the wind to die down some. Around here in the spring it seems that when we have warm days the wind picks up gusting to 25-35 mph. Makes for some interesting fishing to say the least.

Larry

fyshstykr 04-23-2008 11:38 AM

Hello Larry from Laramie,:) I'm fysh from Utah.
Glad to have you join us, We've got a great group here, looking forward to your post.

How about some pics of the new boat?

Frank Whiton 04-23-2008 05:37 PM

Hi mcnerney,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with fyshstykr, we have to see a picture of your boat. I think the Saratoga area is a good spot and may not be as busy as the Reef area.

Frank

mcnerney 04-23-2008 10:17 PM

Frank

The main reason I was thinking of taking on the Grey Reef first was that it looks to be easier for an inexperienced rower. I'm talking about drifting down to Lusby. I agree the North Platte over by Saratoga would be less crowded, but I think I will get a guide to show me the river before I try and drift it by myself.

I'll try to post a pic of the new (used) boat.

Larry

DANIEL J. 05-02-2008 11:02 AM

Hi Larry my name is Dan, I'm from Casper and I fish Grey Reef alot. Right now it is pretty crowded regaurdless of the weather. Alot of drifters put in there but I think for the month of May Game and Fish don't want people to fish a certain area right below Grey Reef because of spawning. Check the fishing report in the newspaper on Thursdays for more info. If you come up net me know I might be able to join you sometime. I just bought a new 10' pontoon and have only been able to use it once.

mcnerney 05-02-2008 11:56 AM

Daniel

Yes, I know what you are talking about, I put in at the dam at 1 pm last Saturday and didn't think I would see many boats being that late in the afternoon, boy was I surprised. Must have passed 30 boats as I drifted down to Lusby. The wx was great, the wind had finally laid down. The restriction you were talking about is from the first cable crossing to the second (500 yrds) but I'm pretty sure it expired April 30 (but I will check before fishing). I'll give you a shout the next time I'm headed up there. Was thinking of maybe this weekend but all the roads are closed right now due to the snow.

Larry