The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default A Fisherman from NYC

Hi, Folks. I just joined the forum, but have been reading through the posts for a year or so. I even feel like I know a couple of the members from their great responses to postings. Thank you all for the help and attention to detail that you have all already provided and thank you all in advance for the future help. This site is terrific! The best fly fishing forum I have found.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing (2 years or so) and once in a blue moon I think of picking up one of my old casting rods...but it never happens. I'm hooked on fly fishing

I live in NYC, and even fish here from time to time (believe it or not), but I have lately been fishing the Mongaup and the Delaware.

Here's to good fishing!

José
Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Fisherman from NYC

Welcome to the group! We'd love to know what your general take is after a long perusal of our herd.

Where about do you live in the big city?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Hi, Cliff. Thanks for the reply. I'm actually from manhattan- born and bread, but as my buddies from the woods say, I'm a country boy at heart. Now that's not entirely true, but I love to fish, shoot, hike, and just be out there with mother nature and all her splendor. I even fly fish central park for bass, which is a blast, because you would never believe that there are big bass in some of those waters. Here's a great true story. When I first went to the park to fly fish my wife thought I was nuts. I met a fly fisherman there- he reported catching a ridiculously large number of bass the day before and then went on to tell me that a bass so large took a bass that he already had on the line and broke his Orvis rod. As we are talking a third fly fisherman walks up and hears his "tall tale." The next day I'm fly fishing the same spot and the second guy comes with rod also, the exact same things happens to me- a huge bass takes a bass that I have on the line. I'm yelling, "Do you see this? Are you seeing this?" Fortunately, my rod doesn't break, just the line snaps. Who would have thought you could have so much fun fishing in the big apple. Anyway, I love the forum- Love it. Just this morning I saw the thread on midges, which took me to a link that I learned a lot from, which then took me to these great YouTube videos. This place rocks, especially if you think of yourself as the perpetual student.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Hi Jose

Welcome to the group. Glad you decided to join in. I grew up just across the river in NJ. Must say I never thought of fishing Central Park. Looking forward to more of your post.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks, Davo. I had a student named Davo once- great kid. Yeah, CPW fishing can be fun, but I can't reveal my secret spot ; )
By the way, I read your posts on the Orvis rods, and I've heard good things. I'm going to have to test cast one soon. I have an older 2 weight Orvis that I just put a small BBS reel on, which has made it so much better to cast now. I had a Sth reel on it that was much too heavy for it. It handles differently from my Cortland CL 6-7 weight (which I happen to love- maybe b/c it was my first rod). I also have a 5 weight St. Croix but it feels a bit too stiff for me and I'm not loving it. I'm thinking of going up or down one line weight for it to see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Thanks, Davo. I had a student named Davo once- great kid. Yeah, CPW fishing can be fun, but I can't reveal my secret spot ; )
By the way, I read your posts on the Orvis rods, and I've heard good things. I'm going to have to test cast one soon. I have an older 2 weight Orvis that I just put a small BBS reel on, which has made it so much better to cast now. I had a Sth reel on it that was much too heavy for it. It handles differently from my Cortland CL 6-7 weight (which I happen to love- maybe b/c it was my first rod). I also have a 5 weight St. Croix but it feels a bit too stiff for me and I'm not loving it. I'm thinking of going up or down one line weight for it to see if that makes a difference.
Davo is a nickname from college. Lived in the dorms and had 7 Daves on the same floor so to make it easy on everyone we all got tagged with a variation. I have several Orvis rods and no complaints. Also have two Sage rods that are great as well. With stiff rods you just have to make a quicker casting stroke in order to load them up. They are good for windy large fly situations. My Orvis T3 and HLS are that way, as is my Sage 3pc 6wt.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jose,
Glad you chimed in and joined the conversations.

It sounds like that monster Bass has a habit of feeding on easy meals, I would be tying up some very big streamers and going with a heavier tippet and trying for him. Good luck.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 PM

I'm definitely going for him this summer, and you're right fyshstykr- it eats easy meals. Doesn't seem to go after anything else though but a flailing fish. I'm thinking of using a silver clouser on him or something like that. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Also try some monster streamers(like 6" long)in the same color combination as the bass you have been catching.

Catch that predator and good luck, take some pics too....

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."